2022 Bengal Bouts Preliminary Round: Ring B results

Emilio “Lefty” Fernandez, a sophomore from Larchmont, NY living in Keough Hall vs. Colin “One Lung” McDonald, a junior from Elkhart, IN living in Dunne Hall

Both fighters came out aggressively in the first round, each landing multiple punches, with Fernandez forcing McDonald into the corner multiple times early. Fernandez clearly wore his opponent down as the fight went on, but McDonald was able to land punches in the second round as well. The fight was decided after a third round in which Fernandez peppered McDonald with shots to the body. In the gold corner, Fernandez was declared the winner by unanimous decision. 

Joey “The Milk Man” Brenner, a sophomore from Cincinnati, OH living in Keenan Hall vs. Connor “My Way” O’Brien, a graduate student from Upland, CA 

The first round was evenly matched and eventful, with both fighters landing plenty of shots to their opponent’s body. Both kept up their intensity in the following round. O’Brien was on the offensive, but Brenner was able to land numerous punches to avoid being forced onto the ropes. The pair seemed to tire into the third round, but each hit their opponent with shots to the head. Although the fight was competitive throughout, Brenner won from the gold corner by unanimous decision. 

Glenn “Queens” Fiocca, a senior from Queens, NY vs. Thomas “Mountain Man” Etchart, a freshman from Helena, MT living in Duncan Hall 

The two fighters brought intensity into the opening round, but Fiocca seemed to be able to parry away most of Etchart’s punches while forcing his opponent back early and often. Etchart found a groove in the second round, however, landing numerous shots and forcing Fiocca to duck below his punches. The two kept up their energy in the final round, but Fiocca was able to land multiple shots to the head which proved to be the difference, as he was declared the winner by split decision. 

Thomas “Tex” Edwards, a senior from Houston TX living in Knott Hall vs. Brien “The Liability” Friery, a graduate student from Lewisburg, PA

Edwards opened the first round with intensity, but Friery was able to quickly recover and land shots to the body of his opponent. Edwards maintained his momentum into the second round, and the referee had to separate the two multiple times as he landed shots. Friery again recovered towards the end of the round, and at the beginning of the third forced his opponent into the corner and landed punches, as Edwards seemed to tire. Edwards’ early-round success was too much for Friery to overcome, and Edwards was declared the winner by split decision. 

Matthew “Ponyboy” Potter, a sophomore from St. Louis, MO living in Sorin College vs. Sean “Milk” Mullen, a sophomore from Phoenix, AZ living in Morrissey Manor 

Each fighter was able to land multiple shots as they danced around the ring for much of the first round. The second round continued to be quite competitive, as the referee had to separate the two throughout for holding. Each fighter landed impressive punches, and Mullen danced around Potter’s punches, showing impressive agility. Both seemed to tire as the fight wore on, but Mullen had Potter against the ropes in the final round and was named the victor by split decision. 

Yanni “Quadzilla” Vu, a freshman from Orange County, CA living in Siegfried Hall vs. Matthew “Double Jeopardy” Downing, a senior from Ronkonkoma, NY living in Siegfried Hall 

Vu had a strong opening round, landing multiple impressive punches to his opponent, as both fighters showed intensity early. Vu carried his momentum into the following round, but Downing recovered to put pressure on his opponent, as Vu tired as the round continued. He rediscovered his energy after the brief pause, however, but Downing was the aggressor in the third round, landing multiple headshots right before the bell. In what was a competitive bout throughout, Downing rode his late success to a split decision victory.

Jack “The Hammer” Murphy, a senior from South Bend, IN living in Keough Hall vs. Charlie “Scro” Freudian, a junior from Arlington Heights, IL living in Duncan Hall

Both fighters brought a quickness right from the start, but Murphy was able to parry most of his opponent's punches away while landing a number of hits of his own in the first round. The second round was much of the same. Freudian had the intensity, but Murphy routinely used his aggressive punches to his advantage, continuously hitting his opponent as the round progressed. Freudian recovered with a strong start to the final round, but Murphy was able to land punches right before the bell and was declared the winner by split decision.

Michael “Florida Man” Perenich, a fifth-year student from Palm Harbor, FL living in Morrissey Manor vs. Riley “Titto” Titterton, a sophomore from  New London, WI living in Keenan Hall 

Perenich opened the fight on the attack, pinning Titterton against the ropes early, and continued to hit his opponent throughout the round. Titterton turned the fight around as the second round commenced, landing multiple impressive shots. Both fighters seemed to gain energy into the third round, each landing impressive shots on the other. Titteron closed the fight with the momentum, with an impressive series of punches before the bell. However, the early success of Perenich was too much for him to overcome, and Perenich was named the victor by unanimous decision. 

Emmanuel “El Chapo” Telles Chaves, a freshman from Fortaleza Brazil living in Siegfried Hall vs. Ryan “Mr. Sir” Collins, a sophomore from Ridgewood, NJ living in O'Neill Hall 

Both fighters shot out of the gate, throwing hard punches right away. Collins put Chaves on the defense early, forcing him to block most of his shots, but each was able to land some in a well-matched first round. Collins gained momentum in the second round as he kept his opponent away from him while breaking through with punches. He again had Chaves on the defensive, but Chaves recovered to land some shots to the body, with both fighters wearing down into the third round. Collins was the stronger fighter throughout the bout and was named the victor by unanimous decision. 

“Sweet Baby” Ray Sierra, a sophomore from Baton Rouge, LA living in Baumer Hall vs. Jan “Janimal” Jhaveri, a senior from Singapore, SG living in Stanford Hall 

It was an impressive start for Jhaveri, landing a plethora of shots in the first round which culminated in a knockdown of Sierra. After the fight restarted, he continued to pummel his opponent against the ropes until the bell. The momentum didn’t shift in the second round; Jhaveri had his opponent on the continual defensive. The fight was stopped before the conclusion of the second round, with Jhaveri as the victor due to referee stoppage. 

Rob “The Voodoo Ranger” Rucki, a sophomore living in Carroll Hall vs. Michael “Crispy Chicken” Rauch, a freshman living in Siegfried Hall

Rucki opened the first round on the offensive, continually driving his opponent back, and evading most of the punches thrown his way. Both seemed content to sit back as the second round got underway, but each landed shots, in what was a very evenly matched round. Rucki landed punches to begin the final round but seemed to tire in the final seconds, allowing Rauch to climb his way back into the fight. It wasn’t enough, however, and Rucki was named the winner by unanimous decision.

Tannish “Lone Wolf” Goel, a freshman from New Delhi, India living in Dillon Hall vs. Dean “Sug(ar)” Maloney, a senior from Parker, CO living in Fischer Hall

Maloney had Goel on the back foot early, pressuring his opponent throughout the first round and landing numerous punches, although he took some in return as well. Maloney continued this momentum into the subsequent round, avoiding punches and taking advantage of any gaps left to pummel his opponent. The third round was more evenly matched, but Maloney clearly had more energy. He was named the winner by unanimous decision. 

Patrick “The Hash-Slinging Slash” Roche, a senior from Pelham, NY living in Dillon Hall vs. Brian “Double Shot” Kerns, from West Chester, PA living in O'Neill Hall

The fight opened with immediate intensity, and Roche knocked down his opponent in the first few seconds. The two continued to throw punches with little regard for defense, each landing numerous solid hits. Roche had his opponent against the ropes as the bell rang. Kerns recovered nicely after the pause, landing several shots to the head. The rest of the round was evenly matched with each landing blows against his opponent. The third round was even as well, as the fighters tired after their initial energy. It was likely Roche’s early success that carried him to the unanimous decision victory.

Jaimie “Greek Freak” Marines, a senior from Orland Park, IL living in Morrissey Manor vs. Daniel “Legs” Tekerian, a freshman from Ramsey, NJ living in Fischer Hall

Marines wins by walk-over. 

Kevin “Armando” Prata, a sophomore from Walpole, MA living in Keough Hall vs. Ryan “The Hound” Hersey, a sophomore from Santa Ana, CA living in O'Neill Hall

The fighters traded blows early, but it seemed to be Prata who was able to land the majority of the punches in the first round. Hersey came out strong in the second round, however, knocking Prata to the mat early. Prata recovered, however, and closed the round on a strong note. The pair came into the third round with intensity, Prata again had Hersey on the back foot, but he was able to land punches as well in what was ultimately a competitive bout. Prata was named the winner by split decision. 

Andrew “Gaslight” Biskup, a graduate student from Birmingham, MI  vs. Jared “Scarface” Walsh, a senior from Wheaton IL living in St. Edward's Hall

The two fighters danced around each other early, but Biskup was able to land multiple shots to the face area early. The first round was evenly matched with neither fighter landing significant blows. Walsh opened the following round on the attack, forcing Biskup onto the ropes. Biskup recovered as the round wore on and both fighters grew tired. Walsh found his energy in the final round, however, and was able to hold his opponent back and was named the winner by unanimous decision. 

Connor “The Hound” Hinkes, a sophomore from Atlanta, GA living in Dillon Hall vs. Dillon “Weber” Hughes, a sophomore from Oak Park, IL living in O'Neill Hall 

The fight opened up with intensity. The pair traded punches, but it was Hughes who had Hinkes pinned against the ropes multiple times throughout the opening round. He maintained this momentum through an equally intense second round, although Hinkes was able to land multiple blows as well. The third round opened with Hinkes knocking Hughes to the mat, and he seemed to gain energy afterward. Hughes never recovered, and Hinkes won by unanimous decision. 

Evan “Milk” Molka, a junior from Millburn, NJ living in Keough Hall vs. Matthew “Whiplash” Turzai, a freshman from Pittsburgh, PA living in Keough Hall 

Molka battered his opponent against the ropes right from the opening bell, but Turzai was able to recover as the round continued, landing a flurry of blows as the opening round concluded. Molka drove his opponent back as the second round opened and continued to have him on the defensive as Turzai tired. He rediscovered his energy in the final round, which was largely even. Molka’s early effort, however, carried him to victory by split decision. 

Brendan “Classic” McGinn, a freshman from Phoenixville, PA living in O'Neill Hall vs. Thomas “Clipz” Hintz, a graduate student from Ham Lake, MN living in O'Neill Hall

Both fighters came out with energy, each landing numerous blows. Neither fighter had a clear advantage in the opening round. McGinn came out on the offensive in the second round, however, and had Hintz pinned back multiple times. Hintz recovered before the bell, landing several solid blows right before the end of the round. McGinn seemed to have regained the advantage as the third round began, evading punches from his opponent and landing plenty of his own, but Hintz recovered quickly, and it was enough to win by unanimous decision. 

Johnathan “Papa Jon” Lis, a junior from Frisco, TX living in Morrissey Manor vs. Roos “Roos” McIllvaine, a senior from Stony Brook, NY living in Sorin College

The fighters largely evaded each other throughout the first round, but each was able to land solid blows against the other. Early in the second round, Lis evaded punches and took advantage of the gaps, but McIllvaine drove him back as the round wore on. Each continued to be content with a defensive style, only striking when their opponent left an opportunity. They both began attacking more heavily in the final round, although neither could gain a clear upper hand until McIllvaine landed several punches in the final seconds, which was enough to award him a unanimous decision victory. 

Russell “The Hunter” Henggeler, a freshman from Dayton, MD living in Baumer Hall vs. Ricardo “BDR” Amisano, a senior from Dunkirk, MD living in Keough Hall

The fight started off with intensity as the two fighters traded punches. Henggeler was able to knock his opponent back several times in the opening round. They maintained their frenetic energy into the second round, with each fighter landing several punches against his opponent. Henggeler had the early advantage, but as the round continued, Amisano recovered and took the momentum into the final round. He drove Henggeler back as the final round progressed but took some blows himself in the process. After a pause to adjust his headgear, Henggeler recovered and landed some punches before the bell, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Amisano, who won by split decision. 

Niko “Hi I’m Niko” Tarasenko, a sophomore from Glen Head, NY living in Alumni Hall vs. Jonathan “Glide” McKenna, a junior from Johnsburg, IL living in O'Neill Hall

Tarasenko immediately began to force his opponent back against the ropes, landing punches in the first few seconds. He dodged punches and found opportunities to strike back, continually pressuring McKenna in the opening round. Tarasenko showed his agility by ducking under punch after punch, before using combos to attack McKenna. McKenna found a way past his defenses in the third round, landing several solid blows, but the two traded blows for the rest of the contest. Tarasenko was declared the winner by unanimous decision.

Andrew “Cowboy” Foote, a sophomore from Hoxie, KS living in Dillon Hall vs. Phil “The Arthur Avenue Assassin” Hough, a senior from Hastings-on-Hudson, NY living in Alumni Hall

Hough was able to force his opponent back early thanks to a barrage of punches, but Foote landed blows on his opponent as well as the round continued. Hough forced Foote into the ropes early in the second round and continued to land blows, but Foote stayed in the fight thanks to timely responses and seemed to gain momentum as the second round expired. The pair found a renewed burst of energy and traded punches throughout the third round, in what was an extremely competitive fight, but Foote was named the winner by unanimous decision. 

Nate “The Great” Ciocca, a sophomore from Leawood, KS living in Pangborn Hall vs. Cesar “Southside” Sanchez, a sophomore from Chicago, IL living in Baumer Hall

The two evaded each other for the start of the first round, neither landing a significant blow until Ciocca pinned Sanchez against the ropes and dealt a flurry of punches. The second round opened with the two trading punches, neither gaining the upper hand, each dealing the other blows throughout the round. In the third round, Ciocca immediately opened by hitting Sanchez against the ropes, but Sanchez responded with multiple strong punches, and it was enough to win by unanimous decision. 

Devin “Piano Man” Lilly, a senior from Scarsdale, NY vs. Greg “Falcon” DeFalco, a junior from Long Grove, IL living in Alumni Hall

The first round opened with intensity but neither fighter was able to connect significantly with the other, trading blows. They continued blocking and evading each other's punches in the second round before Lilly was able to land a few before the end of the round. The energy was perhaps even heightened early in the third round, each landing punches to the head of their opponent, but Lilly finished the bout with the momentum, but Falco had been more consistent throughout the fight and won with a unanimous decision. 

Connor “Mad Dog” O’Rourke, a graduate student from New Prague, MN vs. Justin “Slim” Darwin, a sophomore from Chicago, IL living in Dillon Hall

O’Rourke opened the fight by dealing multiple blows to the head of his opponent, but Darwin was able to successfully deal some punches of his own in the first round, especially over the last minute before the bell. O’Rourke dealt several blows in quick succession, necessitating a stoppage, but Darwin was able to deal multiple shots to the body before the round expired. The fight intensified into the third round with the pair trading blows once again. The last few seconds before the bell saw a frenzied exchange of fists, with Darwin emerged as the winner after a split decision.