-

-

Gateway 9.0s: Still without a home

| Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Dear Notre Dame community,

Last week, members of the Notre Dame-Gateway 9.0 program learned that the student cohort coming after them, to graduate in 2026 — the 10.0s — will be guaranteed on-campus housing beginning their first semester of their sophomore year upon transferring to Notre Dame.

We applaud the Notre Dame administration and the Office of Residential Life for resolving this issue for the next cohort; it’s clear that the Gateway program, which supports the success of Holy Cross College, would not have survived without such a solution, since families choose Notre Dame primarily for its hallmark on-campus residential life community experience.

We are writing to remind the Notre Dame community that 96 of us, Gateway 9.0s, remain deprived of this residential life community as we are without an on-campus home in the fall of 2022, at the start of our sophomore years. 

Many of us have felt betrayed by this whole experience and we have learned that some members of the Notre Dame and Holy Cross administration knew of this housing crunch, yet failed to fully disclose this reality while we were making our college selections as seniors in high school.   

On Friday, we received an email entitled “Gateway Recruitment Update” which alerted us that future Gateways would be guaranteed on-campus housing. This email thanked the 9.0s for their “enthusiasm to welcome the prospective 10.0s to campus soon and to tell them all about Gateway.”

So, in other words, we are essentially now being asked to recruit future Gateways for a program that can’t or won’t resolve our situation, making us the sole cohort in the history of the program without on-campus housing once we become sophomores. We’d be less than honest if we didn’t say that this latest development particularly stings.

All of us have had to scramble to find roommates and try to secure off-campus leases just weeks into our college experiences, before even knowing if we would be accepted to Notre Dame. While many of us have reluctantly signed agreements, very few of us have confirmation of an actual apartment.

We are proud of how we have pulled together as a cohort, supporting each other and working hard to earn our place into the Notre Dame community. 

To Fr. John Jenkins and Fr. Gerard Olinger: Please don’t forget about us. Smart minds employing innovative solutions can figure this out creatively. Many solutions have been suggested. This is a problem that can, and should, be fixed.

To the rectors of the 32 residential dorms: We only need a handful of spots per dorm and we promise you that we will be enthusiastic contributors to dorm life as sophomores if you give us that chance. Please find a way forward for us. Thank you for listening.

Respectfully,

Liam Redmond

Kate Fitzgerald

Christian Farls

Brooke Collins

Robert Corrato

Ella Sundstrom

John Graney

Grace Martin

Michael Manning

Matthew McManus

Grace Kayastha

Peter O’Connor

Olivia Hrivnak

Ben Reifschneider

Anna Merriam

Tommy Toole

Aoife Kelly

Will Miller

Lauren Liebezeit

Pancho Septien

Grace Capko

Finn McClintock

Caroline Donahue

Drew Smetana

Moira Ferry

Drew Vitale

Grace Pugh

Jimmy Collins

Maria Tobias

Nico Schmidt

Sabine Go

Ikaika Van Dyke

Claire McArthur

Kiki Riley

Maire Brennan

Nettie Rooney

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]