-

-

Track and Field

Irish post record-breaking weekend ahead of ACC Indoor Championships

| Wednesday, February 23, 2022

The Irish had another record-breaking weekend in South Bend as Notre Dame hosted the annual Alex Wilson Invitational, and their final regular-season meet, at Loftus Sports Center Saturday. 

Graduate student Rachel Tanczos and sophomore Michael Shoaf continue to make their names known this season, taking a first and third-place finish each. Tanczos won the weight throw with 22.54m, while Shoaf took third in the weight throw with a mark of 20.08m. In the shot put, the two flipped places. It was Shoaf who came out on top (19.48m), while Tanczos came in at third (15.95m).

Throwers were not the only field athletes to experience success on the day. Freshmen Madison Schmidt and Alaina Brady and sophomore Sarah Flight each placed in the top five in the women’s high jump event. Schmidt took third with a jump of 1.71m, while Flight and Brady each marked 1.61m to place fourth and fifth, respectively. Freshman Kendall Burgess also placed third in the women’s long jump with a mark of 5.70m.

Notre Dame also dominated on the track. In the 60m finals, junior Shae Douglas claimed fourth place with a time of 7.63.

Distance runners also posted stellar performances. Freshman Charlotte Turesson and junior Emily Eberhart placed second and third, respectively in the 3000m with times of 10:11.82 and 10:13.19. The men also took second and third in their 3000m race, as juniors Henry Chapman (8:17.43) and Nicholas Mota (8.17.81) claimed second and third for the Irish. Other top-10 ranked performances came when graduate student Bashir Mosavel-lo finished the 800m with a time of 1:48.24 (taking fourth) and senior Olivia Niziolek ran the mile in 5:06.43 (placing tenth).

However, it was the DMRs that stole the show. The women’s team of graduate student Erin Sullivan, freshman Jadin O’Brien, graduate student Kaitlin Ryan and junior Olivia Markezich placed second with 10:57.84. This time set a new school record in the event and put them at third in the NCAA. The men’s team — consisting of senior Samuel Voelz and graduate students Max Frye, Tim Zepf and Yared Nuguse claimed the top spot, also setting a school record, with a time of 9:21.73. They are now second in the NCAA.

The team’s achievements come ahead of their ACC Indoor Championships showing Thursday through Saturday in Blacksburg, Virginia, where they will seek to continue their success.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,