-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

No. 12 Irish prepare for first away matchup against Vanderbilt 

| Thursday, February 17, 2022

The No. 12 Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team heads out to Nashville this weekend to take on Vanderbilt on Saturday. The team moves into their first away game coming off a recent 11-7 loss against then-No. 25 Michigan.  

Despite the recent defeat, spirits are high as the Irish prepare for their third game of the season. Senior captain and midfielder Hannah Dorney said she is excited to get on the road with the team. She’s ready to help lead traditions they missed out on during the pandemic, she added. 

“We got to travel once in the fall to California, so everybody got a little bit of [a] taste of what it’s like to fly and be on the bus together,” Dorney said. “The first trip of the spring is always fun. There’s always little things — traditions — that we do, so it’ll be fun to get the freshmen and sophomores involved.”

In terms of the game, Dorney said the team hopes to improve their shooting and “put the shots away and finish where it matters.”

Though the Irish led in overall shots on goal (20) when they faced Michigan last weekend, their lack of accuracy ultimately led to their defeat against the Wolverines. 

However, what Notre Dame has appeared to lack in shooting, they have made up for in the draw circle. Despite losing some key contributors, the return of some veterans and of several players stepping up to the plate has helped keep the area around the draw circle a source of strength for the Irish. 

“[The draw circle] has been an area of strength for us so far in our season which is really exciting,” Dorney said. “That will help us gain a lot of possessions. I think also defensively we’ve been pretty strong. We’ve returned a lot of veterans back there, so it’s been fun to see us make some big stops.” 

Dorney said she looks forward to the matchup against Vanderbilt, as the Irish have historically performed well against this opponent. During Dorney’s four years at Notre Dame, the Irish have played the Commodores every year — with each of the previous three matchups resulting in a victory. 

“The last time we were away at Vanderbilt was probably my favorite game I’ve ever played personally for myself,” Dorney said. “But also, we set a team record, scoring 10 goals as fast as possible. I think our plan going into the weekend is to bring that same energy and firepower that we did in 2020 back there, and just kind of get after it and show Vanderbilt who we really are as Notre Dame.” 

As captain, Dorney said she has enjoyed fostering the team dynamic and unique culture of Notre Dame lacrosse. The bonds created off the field are something she said translates to success on the field.

Saturday’s game begins at 2 p.m., and can be streamed on YouTube. 

Tags: ,

About Madeline Ladd

Contact Madeline