-

-

ND Women’s Basketball

Notre Dame women’s basketball grabs major road win, takes down Georgia Tech 71-66

| Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Notre Dame women’s basketball dispatched Georgia Tech on the road Thursday night, taking down the Yellow Jackets 71-66.

In a season where a young, energetic core has often been heralded as the Irish’s greatest strength, it was experience that proved pivotal in what may end up being a crucial road victory for a Notre Dame squad. The Irish are seeking a double bye in the ACC tournament and are hopeful for home games in March Madness.

Following an empty possession to end regulation, head coach Niele Ivey made an unconventional switch in the lineup. She opted to bring senior Dara Mabrey to the forefront of the offense instead of traditional freshman point guard and national leader in assists Olivia Miles.

In front of a loud McCamish Pavilion crowd, the senior answered the call in a big way. Mabrey posted six of the Irish’s 11 total points in overtime. Now, Notre Dame returns to South Bend with their first road top-25 victory of the season.

Despite a strong overtime finish, the game wasn’t without struggles for the Irish. The squad only found themselves playing an extra frame after being outscored 22-12 in the fourth quarter. Georgia Tech spent the quarter charging back from a 10-point deficit at the end of the third.

But in a game where Notre Dame hoped to respond from one of their worst shooting performances of the season over the weekend against Louisville, the offense proved well-paced. All five Irish starters reached double figures on the scoresheet, with Miles leading the way with 18. Notre Dame was able to successfully establish themselves underneath the hoop, with the Irish doubling up Georgia Tech in points in the paint (44 to 22). They also out-rebounded the Yellow Jackets 49 to 35, as Maddy Westbeld and Maya Dodson dominated down low.

The Irish look ahead to a week of rest before a two-game homestand that will close out their regular season. Next week the Irish welcome a struggling Clemson squad to South Bend, and then a Louisville team that’s fighting for the conference title. Unsurprisingly, the Louisville game can be expected to hold a special significance to Ivey’s squad. The Cardinals dismantled the Irish in the first meeting between the teams this season.

Purcell Pavilion has been a fortress for Notre Dame this season. The Irish are currently 12-0 at home. In the elite company of No. 1 South Carolina, No. 3 Louisville, No. 8 Arizona and No. 9 Michigan, they are one of the five Power 5 Conference teams to be undefeated at home this season. Notre Dame has consistently played their best basketball in South Bend (the most prominent example being an upset win over No. 4 North Carolina State earlier this February). It won’t be a surprise if Louisville faces a much more serious upset bid from the Irish next Sunday, especially since they will travel to Purcell for the final game of the season.

Notre Dame women’s basketball will be back in action next Thursday as they face the Clemson Tigers at Purcell Pavilion. The game will tip off at 8 p.m. and will be broadcasted on the ACC Network.

About J.J. Post

Contact J.J.