Will ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ be the savior of ‘Star Wars’?

1644528338-44ba6cfc855704d-700x467
IMAGE SOURCES: Disney+ Originals, We Got This Covered

A while back, I reviewed “Star Wars: Visions” and shared I was deeply underwhelmed with the cluttered stories that the show was attempting to tell. I was also not a fan of the anime style. When I heard there was going to be a show about Boba Fett on Disney Plus, I was skeptical, to say the least. But after finishing “The Book of Boba Fett,” I knew it was miles ahead of “Star Wars: Visions.” That’s saying a lot from a hardcore “Star Wars” fan. 

The first season of “The Book of Boba Fett” chronicles the events after the 1983 film “The Return of the Jedi.” It tells the story of the green armor-clad Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison) and mercenary Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen) as they assume control over Tatooine. Fett is the supposed “daimyo” (or feudal lord) of Tatooine’s port city, Mos Espa. Along the way, they have to try and gain the people of Tatooine’s trust and fight against the Pyke Syndicate, an organization that illegally deals spice (not to be confused with the spice from Dune”)

Ever since Boba Fett “died” in “The Return of the Jedi,” I always wanted to know about him. When he came back in the second season of “The Mandalorian,” I had questions as to how he even was alive. How could he survive after being swallowed by the Sarlacc? With the first season of “The Book of Boba Fett,” I have my questions answered. 

The show explores Boba Fett’s backstory from how he survived the Sarlacc pit to how he came to be the daimyo of Tatooine. Here, the relationship between Fett and Shand is clearly chronicled along with more exploration of the Star Wars galaxy underworld.

As a fan, I was happy with the crossover between “The Book of Boba Fett” and “The Mandalorian.” In the last three episodes of the season, Fett and Shand team up with Din Djarin (a.k.a. the Mandalorian) to help take down the Pyke Syndicate and assume control of Tatooine. I was also shocked to see another “Star Wars” favorite come on the show — Cad Bane (voiced by Corey Burton, physically played by Dorian Kingi), the blue-skinned bounty hunter who sides with Pyke Syndicate. I just loved all the little nods that “The Book of Boba Fett” had in the show towards “The Mandalorian” and “The Return of the Jedi,” especially with the return of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill). 

Like every new addition to the “Star Wars” universe, “The Book of Boba Fett” has issues that cause the show some harm. Even though I praised the flashbacks, they detracted from the main story. The directors understandably wanted to provide exposition for Fett’s backstory, but so much of it was packed into the first four episodes that I had to skip most of the flashbacks to get to the point. I also thought that the story was a little cluttered with multiple characters in a frame at the same time. 

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed “The Book of Boba Fett.” It really was a breath of fresh air to those who want to know more about the “Star Wars” universe. If you are a huge fan of “Star Wars” and want to know more about Boba Fett, then go watch the first season. 

Title: “The Book of Boba Fett” 

Starring: Temuera Morrison, Ming-Na Wen

If you like: “Star Wars,” “The Mandalorian”

Where to watch: Disney+

Shamrocks: 4 out of 5