-

-

Sports

Entenmann’s career day leads Irish to victory against Wolverines

| Monday, March 21, 2022

The No. 15/16 Notre Dame Fighting Irish beat the No. 17/19 Michigan Wolverines 12-7 this past weekend at Arlotta Stadium behind a career day from junior goalie Liam Entenmann, who finished the game with 19 saves. Freshman Chris Kavanagh led the Irish on offense with three goals and an assist.

The Irish dominated for the majority of the first quarter, but they didn’t have much to show for it, scoring only one goal on 13 shots over the first fifteen minutes.

The lone Irish goal in the first quarter was scored early with the Irish winning the drop to start the game. The Irish then possessed the ball for about a minute before an unassisted goal by sophomore midfielder Eric Dobson gave the Irish an early advantage.

Michigan won the ensuing drop and had a good look on goal, but Entenmann made a great save to keep the Wolverines off the board. The Irish had some good looks on the following possession, but they were unable to score.

The Wolverines had a great look moments later with a two-on-two chance on goal and Entenmann out of position, but Entenmann was able to retreat and get back in time to make a fantastic diving save.

The Irish had a string of shots in the middle part of the first quarter, but Wolverine goalie Shane Carr stood strong in net, preventing the Irish from adding to their lead. The Irish had 11 shots over the first ten minutes of the game but just the one goal to show for it.

The Wolverines tied the score up moments later with Ryan Cohen burying one in the back of the net with 4:06 to play in the first quarter. The Wolverines then took the lead right after the media timeout off a goal from Michael Boehm.

The Irish had a string of shots at the end of the first quarter, but Carr denied the Irish yet again to preserve the Wolverines’ lead at the end of the first quarter at 2-1.

Head coach Kevin Corrigan discussed how he kept his team level-headed despite trailing after the first quarter of play.

“We said forget about the score. Let’s concentrate on the play of the game because the play of the game is going our way. The score did not in that quarter. If we continue to play that way, it’s not going to be 2-1 every quarter. We just said don’t worry about the scoreboard,” Corrigan said.

A penalty early in the second quarter on the Wolverines gave the Irish an advantage, and they finally found the back of the net to tie the game up at two apiece. The goal was scored by freshman attack Jeffrey Ricciardelli.

The Irish capitalized a couple of minutes later with graduate student midfield Wheaton Jackoboice slinging a shot past Carr to give the Irish a 3-2 lead. Then, Notre Dame continued to pour it on with Chris Kavanagh scoring to give the Irish a 4-2 lead.

The Irish then broke through again off the stick of sophomore attack Bryce Walker with just over five minutes to play in the second quarter. Jackoboice capped off the second quarter for the Irish, scoring on the team’s final possession to give the Irish a 6-2 lead at the break.

The Wolverines generated some great opportunities in the second quarter, but Entenmann made seven saves over the course of the quarter to hold the Wolverines scoreless in the second.

After the game, Corrigan discussed Entenmann’s play and the mindset he saw from Entenmann on the field on Saturday.

“He played really well. He was seeing the ball well,” Corrigan said. “He’s been feeling a lot of pressure. It’s a tough position because even if you do everything right, every goal that gets scored goes by you. And that can mess with a guy. Mentally that takes a lot to weather than when the team is not winning. I am really happy for him. He had a great day, but I am happy to that he was able to work his way out of this pressure and got himself in the right frame of mind.”

On the first Irish possession of the half, graduate student midfielder David Lipka scored to give the Irish offense scored yet again to increase the lead to 7-2.

The Wolverines were not about to go down without a fight, though, and they finally scored on their following possession. Entenmann was able to make two saves, but Aidan Mulholland found a way to sneak it past Entenmann and bring the score to 7-3. The Wolverines then tacked another one on minutes later to bring the score to 7-4.

After the Wolverine goals, the Wolverines kept the pressure on the Irish, dominating possession and generating multiple shots on goals. Entenmann continued to play well, though, and the Irish finally got a good look on offense to score and increase the lead to 8-4. The goal was scored by Chris Kavanagh.

The Irish came out of the gates firing in the fourth quarter with Eric Dobson scoring his second goal of the day to give the Irish a 9-4 lead with just under fourteen minutes to play. Chris Kavanagh then scored his third goal of the game moments later to give the Irish a 10-4 lead.

Corrigan acknowledged how integral Chris and Pat Kavanagh are to the performance of his team.

“[Chris] and Pat are starting to settle in. We are using a couple of other guys on the attack that I think have taken a little bit of pressure off them. Pat and Chris are both really good players, and we need them to make plays for us,” Corrigan said.

Freshman attack Will Angrick and Walker tacked on goals over the next couple of minutes to give the Irish a comfortable 12-4 lead.

The Wolverines scored two goals back-to-back off the sticks of Jacob Jackson and Michael Boehm to bring the score to 12-6 with just under nine minutes to play. Josh Zawada then scored for the Wolverines with six and a half minutes to play to bring the Wolverines closer at 12-7.

The Wolverines had the momentum, but the Irish were able to slow down the game and keep possession to hold on for the 12-7 win.

After a string of losses before this game, Corrigan was proud of his team’s performance on Saturday to get back into the win column.

“You lose two or three in a row, and you think you need to make winning plays. The whole key to making winning plays is to not think about winning. It’s thinking about making the right play in that moment. Wins and losses take care of themselves if you can stay focused on the moment,” Corrigan said.

Josh Zawada of the Wolverines is the leading point-getter in the NCAA, but the defense was spectacular for the Irish on Saturday, holding Zawada of the Wolverines to just one goal.

Corrigan praised the play of his defense.

“I thought our defense played well today. [Goalie] Liam [Entenmann] did great, but they gave him a lot of shots that he likes to see. I was really pleased with their play,” Corrigan said.

The Irish will travel to Charlottesville next weekend to take on the No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers to open ACC play.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

About Nate Moller

Nate is a junior majoring in chemical engineering. He is originally from a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota and is currently living in Siegfried Hall. Some of his passions include running, cross country skiing, and getting too worked up about Notre Dame and Minnesota sports teams.

Contact Nate