-

-

Men’s Golf

Irish earn second-place finish in Statesboro

| Tuesday, March 22, 2022

The Notre Dame’s men’s golf team placed second at the Schenkel Invitational in Statesboro, Georgia this past weekend. The tournament’s host, the Georgia Southern Eagles, beat Notre Dame by seven shots over three rounds at the Forest Heights Country Club.

The second-place finish continued a strong 2021-2022 season for Notre Dame, who have two tournament wins on the season for the first time since 2019.

Individually, Notre Dame was led by sophomore Angelo Marcon, who shot -7 and finished fourth overall in the best tournament finish of his career. The San Francisco product was sitting at 23rd and even par heading into the final round before shooting a bogey-free 65 on Sunday. It was the low round of the weekend and it catapulted him into 4th place and the best finish of his Irish career.

Marcon did this while the field averaged 74.30 on Sunday, more than two shots over par and the highest average of any round. Much of his success came from his par 4s, where Marcon finished the tournament as one of just six golfers to finish under par, scoring -4.

Notre Dame had two other golfers in the top 10 with graduate senior Davis Chatfield (T7) and junior Palmer Jackson (T9). Chatfield’s weekend was the opposite of Marcon’s with a strong 67 to open the weekend before a 71 and 73 during the weekend to finish at five under par. His performance was marked by a strong -3 on par 3s, which was tied with three other golfers for the lead in par-3 scoring.

Notre Dame’s team effort was rounded out by seniors Taichi Kho (T18) and Andrew O’Leary (T42) who both contributed one under-par round to the team’s final score of -18. The pair dominated par 5s, combining for a -15 score, including an eagle from O’Leary.

Notre Dame men’s golf will be back in action April 2-3 as they travel to Augusta, Georgia for the Augusta Haskins Award Invitational.

About Jose Sanchez Cordova

Contact Jose