-

-

Men’s Golf

Irish head to San Diego for Lamkin Invitational

| Thursday, March 3, 2022

Coming off of a solid performance at the Watersound Invitational hosted by Florida State, the Notre Dame Men’s Golf team heads to San Diego to compete in the Lamkin invitational. The Lamkin invitational is held annually at The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe. The facility hosts minor PGA tournaments annually and is a popular course for NCAA Golf. The Lamkin Invitational for women’s collegiate golf occurred at the same course on February 14th and 15th. 

At the Watersound Invitational in late February, junior Palmer Jackson and graduate student Davis Chatfield led the Irish. Jackson finished fourth, and Chatfield took ninth in a field of 70 golfers. Senior Taichi Kho finished four shots back of Chatfield and tied for 23rd. However, he did shoot a team-low 66 in the second round, helping the Irish to the low round of the day.

Their performances helped the team achieve a total score of 6 under par, finishing third in the competition out of 14 schools. The Irish now boast five consecutive top-three finishes in neutral competitions dating back to the fall season. As a result of their recent success, the Irish sit 15th in the NCAA Division I coaches’ poll. The team hopes to carry its momentum into San Diego, where they begin play next Monday. 

As the Irish prep for the Lamkin Invitational, they can continue to count on Davis Chatfield’s consistency, which has landed him in the record books. In NCAA Golf, five golfers compete for each team, but only the top four scores achieved each day actually count. Chatfield ranks third all-time on Notre Dame’s Golf team for percentage of rounds counted, with an impressive 93%. This means Chatfield ranked in Notre Dame’s top four golfers for 78 out of the 84 rounds he’s played. His presence has amplified the best two-year stretch in Irish men’s golf history. Jackson, Chatfield and Kho boast the best three-stroke averages since the statistic was first recorded in 1954. Despite these accolades, the team has not won a tournament outright since the 2019-2020 season. The Fighting Irish hope to break that streak heading into a winnable tournament on Monday.