-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Irish lose to Syracuse 17-16 in overtime

| Tuesday, March 1, 2022

After a strenuous fight, then-No. 17 Notre Dame ultimately fell 17-16 in overtime to No. 3 Syracuse at home Saturday night. After the first three quarters it appeared to be a blowout from the Orange, but that quickly changed into a close game. 

Although the Orange outscored the Irish 6-2 in the first quarter, it was Irish junior midfielder Madison Mote who made the first goal unassisted. However, the Orange answered and took a 3-1 lead with six minutes left in the opening quarter. This was answered by sophomore midfielder Mary Kelly Doherty with only four seconds left on the shot clock. This apparent turnaround did not last, and the Orange hit back again with three straight goals, the final one finding the back of the net with 30 seconds left in the quarter. 

Despite being down by three, the Irish did not lay down. Junior attack Madison Ahern came out hot, scoring within 30 seconds. This was quickly followed by another goal by junior midfielder Kasey Choma, and then another goal by Ahern. For the rest of the quarter, the Irish and the Orange would go back and forth with scoring. Choma would score once more and Ahern would twice before half. With the lead only down to one, the Orange were presented with three separate penalty shots, and Emily Hawryschuk would finally find the back of the net on the last one for Syracuse, who lead the Irish 10-8 at half. 

It was in the third quarter where the Orange really built their lead. Within the first two minutes of play, Syracuse scored twice. After a shot from the Irish, Ahern was able to cause a turnover on the return and promptly score. However, this was followed by another two goals from Syracuse. It was clear that the Irish were weak on the draw. Out of the six draw controls, the Irish only won one. 

With the gap widening to 14-9 going into the fourth quarter, morale from the stands was low, as it appeared to be a runaway game. This changed when junior attack Jackie Wolak scored with an assist by Choma, before Choma herself found the net. Although the Orange retaliated and scored at the 8:37 mark, Choma and Ahern would both respond with two unassisted goals. Syracuse would score yet again, but as the clock dwindled down, the Irish knew they had to dig deep if they wanted to stay in the game. With four minutes left, Wolak scored, followed by another Irish goal from Choma. With only 16 seconds left, and the Irish down by one, Doherty scored on a free position and sent the game into overtime. 

While the Irish had been struggling with draw controls earlier in the game, in the fourth quarter both teams won an equal amount (5-5). However, this would not matter in overtime as Syracuse won the draw and scored within a minute of the restart, ending the game 17-16. 

Ahern and Choma scored a combined 11 goals in the loss. Ahern’s six were a career high. Choma led the team with six draw controls. 

With hopes of closing a three-game home stretch with a win, the now-No.16 Irish will host No. 13 Virginia Sunday at 12 p.m. The game will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Olivia Schatz

Contact Olivia