-

-

Men’s Lacrosse

Irish prepare for difficult road test against No. 3 Virginia

| Friday, March 25, 2022

The No. 10 Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team (2-3, 0-0 ACC) will kick off ACC play on the road this Saturday against the No. 3 Virginia Cavaliers (6-1, 2-0 ACC).

Although the Irish are coming off a convincing win last weekend against a solid Michigan team, the Irish lack a signature victory, which is something they can earn Saturday.

Head coach Kevin Corrigan stressed the importance of controlling possession and being efficient on offense, which is something that the Irish have struggled with this year.

“In the games that we’ve lost, we’ve been in a big deficit in the number of possessions,” Corrigan said. “We need to do everything we can in the faceoff game, the riding and clearing, and everything else to try to keep that from being a big gap. And then we have to be effective and efficient offensively with the possessions that we have.”

Virginia has some of the best attackers in the country, averaging nearly 17 goals per game this year. Virginia’s best win on the year was against No. 9 UNC, whom they beat by a 15-11 margin. The Cavaliers are coming off of their first loss of their season to No. 1 Maryland, who they lost to by a 23-12 score.

Corrigan acknowledged that Virginia has one of the best offenses in the country.

“They probably have the best attack group in the country. It starts with defending those guys. They love to create scoring chances, especially in smaller numbers in situations where they can attack and all make big plays,” Corrigan said.

Corrigan knows his team needs to take care of the ball to limit Virginia’s chances on net.

“We’ve got to make sure to clear the ball effectively, so that we don’t create turnovers in the middle of a field. We got to make sure that we ride hard but intelligently so that we don’t create transition for them. And then we’ve got to make sure that we defend those guys in those transitions and unsettled situations,” Corrigan said.

Junior goalie Liam Entenmann had a career day in last week’s win against Michigan, and Corrigan needs Entenmann to continue to play at a high level this weekend.

“He’s playing great right now, and he has confidence. There’s no position on the field more important than the goalie,” Corrigan said.

The Irish have struggled at the faceoff all season, which is something that they must improve on Saturday.

“It’s always important to limit their possessions as much as you can,” Corrigan said. “We’ve got to continue to work to do a better job and make sure at the end of the day that we’re as close to even in possessions as we can be because we have been on the bad side of that equation a little bit too much this year.”

Corrigan has played in Charlottesville before, and he described the venue as a fun, energetic place to play.

“It’s a good crowd and an exciting atmosphere,” Corrigan said.

Corrigan knows his team is capable of being one of the best in the country, and he hopes his team puts it all together this Saturday.

“I’m interested to see us put together a complete game. We’ve done everything well at times. We haven’t put all of those things together in a way that we are capable of. That’s the goal. That’s what we are working toward,” Corrigan said.

This is just another game for Corrigan and his team as they strive to achieve their goal of winning a conference and national championship.

“If you want to win the league and if you want to win the national championship, you need to win games. This is the next game,” Corrigan said.

Saturday’s game in Charlottesville will begin at 1 p.m. and can be viewed on ACC Network.

About Nate Moller

Nate is a junior majoring in chemical engineering. He is originally from a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota and is currently living in Siegfried Hall. Some of his passions include running, cross country skiing, and getting too worked up about Notre Dame and Minnesota sports teams.

Contact Nate