-

-

Track and Field

Irish secure All-American honors in distance medley and individual events at NCAA Indoor Nationals

| Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The Irish track and field team traveled to Birmingham, Alabama, this past weekend for the 2022 NCAA Indoor National Championship. The men’s and women’s distance medley relay teams competed as well as four Irish in individual events.

Sophomore Jadin O’Brien kicked things off for the Irish, taking home fourth in the pentathlon. O’Brien was stellar across the board in the pentathlon events, placing eighth in the 60m hurdles, 15th in the high jump, fifth in the shot put, fifth in the long jump and fourth in the 800m run. O’Brien received All-American accolades for her fourth-place finish.

Senior Dylan Jacobs also competed for the Irish in the 5000m run. Jacobs took home ninth place with a time of 13:31.43. Jacobs was near the front of the heat for the majority of the race and finished within 15 seconds of the winner.

The men’s distance medley relay team also earned All-American recognition for their second place finish with a time of 9:25.77. The Irish were in a distant fifth place when the baton was handed off to 2021 Olympian Yared Nuguse for the last leg of the relay. Nuguse, a graduate student was able to work his way back into the competition, kicking through the last 50m to pass third-place Wisconsin and secure second place by 0.01 seconds. Senior Sam Voelz, graduate student Max Frye and graduate student Tim Zepf ran the first three legs for the Irish.

The women’s distance medley relay team of graduate student Erin Sullivan, Jadin O’Brien, graduate student Katie Ryan and junior Olivia Markezich also competed, finishing eighth overall and receiving All-American honors. The relay team finished with a time of 11:05.60.

Graduate student Rachel Tanczos also competed in the weight throw, finishing fourth with a throw of 23.06m. Tanczos earned All-American honors for the effort.

Maddy Denner also competed in the 5000m, running a time of 16:47.28, which earned her 16th overall.

Yared Nuguse rounded things out for the Irish, taking home ninth in the 3000m run with a time of 8:01.53. Nuguse ran a collegiate record of 7:38.13 in the event earlier this year, but he was unable to replicate this record setting performance at the NCAA championships as he ran out of steam during the final 100m of the race.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

About Nate Moller

Nate is a junior majoring in chemical engineering. He is originally from a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota and is currently living in Siegfried Hall. Some of his passions include running, cross country skiing, and getting too worked up about Notre Dame and Minnesota sports teams.

Contact Nate