Athlete of the Week: Belles’ Kane, Irish's Bertrand claim awards

In the last five-day week of the academic semester, the Irish, Belles and Saints were back in action in each sport, with busy schedules creating some tough voting decisions. 

Women’s Athlete of the Week: Bridget Kane, Saint Mary’s Lacrosse

This is Kane’s third nomination for the award this year, and this week, she brought it home. The honor comes after an incredible six-goal, two-assist effort to help the Belles to a road win. The match was a chaotic one, as Saint Mary’s claimed victory by a 24-23 scoreline. She scored three times in the first quarter which ended tied 9-9. Then, Kane scored once more in each of the following periods, punctuated by the game-winner with 46 seconds left. For her team-leading eight points, and late-game heroics, Kane earns the tri-campus Women’s Athlete of the Week. 

Honorable Mention: Peyton Tidd, Notre Dame Softball

The Irish earned their highest-ranked win of the year on Tuesday, toppling No. 6 Northwestern. Tidd keyed the effort, firing a complete game from the circle, allowing just two runs. She struck out the final two batters she faced in a perfect seventh inning to close out the win. Tidd followed it up with a six-inning, one earned run performance against Syracuse in the series opener, claiming the win. 

Men’s Athlete of the Week: John Michael Bertrand, Notre Dame Baseball

Like Kane, Bertrand earned his third nomination this week and brought home the honors for the first time. One week after a sparkling 7.2-inning effort, Bertrand pitched into the ninth inning against Clemson. He struck out eight over 8.1 innings, didn’t allow an earned run and struck out eight in a dazzling effort. He earned the win, sparking the Irish to another series sweep. With another strong Friday night start to set the tone for the series, Bertrand earned the tri-campus Men’s Athlete of the Week. 

Honorable Mention: Matthew Che, Notre Dame Tennis

Che put in solid work at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, winning both his ACC matches this week, dropping a total of just ten games and zero sets in the process. Che finished the week undefeated, winning his lone completed doubles match on Friday, clinching the doubles point versus Boston College. 

Team of the Week: Notre Dame Lacrosse

The Irish rolled off the momentum from their 22-6 win over Syracuse and traveled to meet No. 10 Duke. The 16th-ranked Irish won their second straight and third in four games, moving to second in the ACC. The Irish never trailed en route to the 16-15 conference road victory. The win was crucial for the Irish’s postseason hopes, as they stay in the conversation for an at-large NCAA Tournament bid.