Baltimore Ravens select Kyle Hamilton 14th overall

In the 2022 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens selected Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton with the 14th overall pick. Hamilton became the highest-selected Notre Dame defensive back since Todd Lyght, taken fifth overall by the San Francisco 49ers in 1991. He also replaced Jerry Tillery (2019) as the most recent Irish player taken in the first round.

Hamilton hails from Atlanta where he attended Marist High School before coming to South Bend. A return to Atlanta and the Falcons looked possible, but Atlanta passed on the Notre Dame prospect with their eighth overall pick. Regardless, Hamilton should slot in as a starter with the playoff-contending Ravens. Baltimore finished 8-9 last season and took last place in the AFC North. The Ravens secured Hamilton, considered a potential top-five pick, as the third defensive back off the board. Cornerbacks Derek Stingley (third overall) and Sauce Gardner (fourth overall) went ahead of the Notre Dame product. However, Hamilton was the first safety off the board.

1568935759-67ad256a77b2bdc-539x700
Irish freshman safety Kyle Hamilton returns an interception for a touchdown during Notre Dame's 66-14 win over New Mexico on Sep. 14. Hamilton, a native of Atlanta, Georgia, was highly highly recruited by both the Irish and Bulldogs.
Irish freshman safety Kyle Hamilton returns an interception for a touchdown during Notre Dame's 66-14 win over New Mexico on Sep. 14, 2019. Hamilton, a native of Atlanta, Georgia, was highly recruited by both the Irish and Bulldogs.

Hamilton entered as the fifth-ranked safety in the 2019 recruiting class. He joined Notre Dame as their top-ranked recruit in the class. Although he didn't start as a freshman, Hamilton reeled in four interceptions. He doubled that total over the 2020 season and a junior season plagued by injury.

Throughout his career, Hamilton impressed in pass coverage. In a play many called one of the best college interceptions they've seen, Hamilton crossed nearly half the field to make a tumbling interception in the season opener against Florida State. He also features a powerful 220-pound frame with the closing speed to make open-field tackles. Hamilton notched 34 tackles in just seven games this past season. He broke up 17 passes over his career to go with the eight interceptions.