Bengal Bouts prepare for finals, Marcus Luttrell to be special guest

The final bouts of the 2022 Bengal Bouts will commence Friday evening in Purcell Pavilion. After three rounds of grueling boxing, the last boxers standing will battle for championships within each weight class. 

As they do every year, the competing boxers raised money for the Holy Cross Missions in Bangladesh. This underlying mission continues to make the tournament about far more than just the bouts and the glory of victory. 

1648774029-ea0b8803a428bed-538x700
Junior Charles Martin and senior Ricardo Amisano face off during the 2022 bouts.

Continuing with that mission, the Bengal Bouts have invited a special guest to attend the finals of the 92nd edition of the finals. Retired U.S. Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell will be the guest of honor at the bouts. The Bengal Bouts Instagram account announced Luttrell’s guest appearance on March 23.

Marcus Luttrell is a retired U.S. Navy SEAL who was assigned on June 28, 2005 to Operation Red Wing in eastern Afghanistan. After having their location unexpectedly exposed, Luttrell and three other SEALs were engaged in an intense gun battle. Luttrell was the only survivor of the operation,” the post read.

Luttrell shared that experience and honored those who fell in his novel, Lone Survivor. The novel was later adapted into a 2013 movie. 

We look forward to hosting Marcus Luttrell on our beautiful campus, and for our boxers to demonstrate their skills in front of a true American hero,” the post added.

The Bengal Bouts Finals start at 7 pm on Friday.