Holy Cross names Marco Clark as next College President

In an email Wednesday to the Holy Cross College community, Board of Trustees chair John C. Gschwind announced that the Board had chosen Marco Clark as its next College President. Clark will start his role June 30, when Fr. David Tyson’s term ends.

Gschwind described Clark as “an experienced and enthusiastic leader who is well-prepared to lead the college.” Clark, Gschwind said in the email, demonstrated to the presidential search committee a unique commitment to the education of “both the mind and the heart”, following Holy Cross’s mission.

In the email, Gschwind recognized Tyson's legacy as president of the college.

“We are in this advantageous position thanks to the work of many at the College, and I especially want to recognize and thank Father Tyson for his efforts over the past five years,” he said in the email.

Clark is the ideal leader to follow Tyson’s achievements, the email said.

“The Board is convinced we have found a leader who will build on the accomplishments of Father Tyson, and we look forward to working with Dr. Clark to advance the mission of Holy Cross College.”

A press release announced the board’s decision later Wednesday morning, saying the search committee had consisted of a comprehensive group and “undertook an extensive seven-month national search to identify and recommend Dr. Clark to the board.”

In the press release, Clark said that he was excited to lead Holy Cross.

“As one who was taught by the Brothers and who has spent my career serving in Holy Cross educational ministries, I am humbled and excited about the opportunity and responsibility to continue the transformative mission and charism of a Holy Cross education,” he said in the press release.

The decision is also a historic mark. Clark, the press release noted, will be “the first president of the College who is not a Holy Cross brother or priest.”

Tyson said in the press release that he was “delighted” at Clark’s appointment.

“He brings with him an impressive credential and superb knowledge of the Holy Cross Congregation’s mission of higher education. He is an excellent communicator and brings a superior record as a leader and administrator. I assure him of my thoughts and prayers as he begins his tenure,” Tyson said.