-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Irish women’s lacrosse pounds Pitt and Marquette

| Wednesday, April 20, 2022

After a 16-10 loss against No. 3 Boston College, the No. 18 Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team comes back with a 19-7 win against Pittsburgh on senior day, before another big win against Marquette (19-10). This season has not been smooth sailing for the Irish as they currently sit with a 7-8 record (2-5 ACC) with losses against all top teams. However, the Irish hope to bring this momentum into their final regular season game against Louisville this Saturday.

Notre Dame collects ACC win over Pitt

Junior attack Madison Ahern opened up the scoring with an assist from junior attack Jackie Wolak within the first three minutes. Senior midfielder Madison Mote was the second to score with an assist from graduate student attack Maddie Howe. Pitt would respond before two answers from the Irish: the first by sophomore midfielder Keelin Schlageter and the next by junior midfielder Kasey Choma. The Panthers would not allow the Irish to pull away and brought the score to 4-3. This would be answered with an unassisted goal from Choma, before another Panther goal. The Irish were determined to finish the scoring for the quarter, and with 2 seconds left Howe found the back of the net. The last three goals of the quarter were all scored with a minute left.

The first quarter was the first and only quarter in which Pitt scored multiple times. With a 6-4 lead, Howe opened up the scoring for the second quarter. While the Panthers did score once, the Irish found the back of the net three more times before the end of the half with goals from Choma, Mote and Howe, all within the last three minutes of the quarter. The half saw a 10-5 Irish lead.

The third quarter is where the Irish really secured their lead. The Irish outscored the Panthers 7-1 in the period. Choma scored twice, with goals apiece from Mote, Ahern, Wolak, Howe and sophomore midfielder Mary Kelly Doherty.

In the fourth and final quarter, the Irish attack wasn’t as hot, but they certainly did not pull off the pedal. Ahern scored the two goals this quarter, one unassisted and the other assisted from Choma. With a last-ditch effort, the Panthers scored within the last 14 seconds, but it was already too late and the Irish secured their win. Notre Dame outshot Pitt 36-18, as well as winning 19-10 draw controls and 15-7 ground balls. The Irish also saw not one, but four hat tricks with Choma (5), Ahern (4), Howe (4) and Mote (3). Wolak also had four assists on the night.

Gracie Lee | The Observer

Irish thrash Golden Eagles

Notre Dame saw a similar win against Marquette on Monday. Although Marquette opened up the scoring, this would be the last time they had control of the game. The Irish would respond with 6 goals — two from Choma, two from Ahern and one from Doherty and Wolak — of their own before another Eagle goal. The Irish would then finish off the quarter with three more goals to go up 9-2.

Notre Dame also dominated the second quarter. The quarter opened with five straight Irish goals before the Eagles were able to find the back of the net. With 40 seconds left, Ahern was able to close out the half with a 15-3 lead.

While Marquette opened up the scoring in the third quarter with two goals, the Irish responded proportionally. However, one more Eagle goal tightened the lead slightly to 17-6 going into the final quarter.

The Eagles knew this was their last chance to tighten the Irish lead. This last burst of energy allowed them to score twice off the bat, before senior midfielder Hannah Dorney responded with a goal. The Eagles would score twice more before a final response from junior attack Jane McAvoy with one second remaining. This would finalize the score of 19-10.

Again, the Irish saw four girls with hat tricks. This time, the leading scorer was Ahern (6), followed by Choma (4), Wolak (3) and Doherty (3). Wolak also had four assists on the night. Notre Dame won 20-10 of the draw controls, which is something they have struggled to do all season. If they want to continue on the streak they are currently on, they must continue to win draw controls and shoot on goal.

Notre Dame plays their last regular-season game against Louisville this Saturday. Play will start at 1 p.m. and will be broadcasted on the ACC Network.

Tags: ,

About Olivia Schatz

Contact Olivia