-

-

Men’s Tennis

Notre Dame sweeps Boston College to close out ACC schedule

| Monday, April 11, 2022

Notre Dame men’s tennis ended their conference slate on a positive note Friday, sweeping Boston College 7-0 in Chestnut Hill. The dominant win ended a five game skid in conference play for the Irish.

In doubles play, graduate student Peter Conklin and junior Connor Fu got Notre Dame off to a quick start, notching a 6-2 victory over Mason Fung and Jake Vassel. The Eagles retaliated in the next doubles match however, with the pairing of Juan Jose Bianchi and Max Motlagh dispatching the Irish duo of junior Matthew Halpin and sophomore Jean-Marc Malkowski. But in the rubber match Notre Dame would prevail, as junior Matthew Che and graduate student Aditya Vashistha forced a tiebreak after a slow start and then eventually claiming a 7-2 tiebreak victory. Thanks to Che and Vashistha’s win, the Irish entered singles play with a 1-0 advantage.

Notre Dame would use that momentum to their advantage in singles, winning the first set in each of the six singles matches. Malkowski would be the first to claim overall victory, claiming the first set 6-3 before dominating the second set 6-0. Malkowski’s performance put the Irish up 2-0. Che and Conklin would follow suit in the two and five spots respectively, with both securing 6-1, 6-4 victories. In the one spot, Vashistha battled past Max Motlagh by a 6-3, 6-4 margin, and in the No. 6 position, junior Braeden Ho would earn his first ACC victory with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Jake Vassel. Finally, Fu would ensure the sweep for the Irish with a 6-0, 4-6, 6-3 victory, the only singles match to require three sets.

Looking ahead, the Irish will now prepare for a senior day matchup against DePaul in South Bend. This will be Notre Dame’s final match of the season before the ACC championships in Rome, Georgia. The game will be played at Eck Pavilion and will begin at 4:00 p.m., broadcasted on UND.com

Tags: , , , , , ,

About J.J. Post

Contact J.J.