-

-

Sports

Tri-Campus Roundup: Notre Dame softball rolls, Saints advance in tennis

| Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Notre Dame softball mercy-rules Toledo

The Irish softball squad continued their roll on Tuesday afternoon with an 8-0 victory over Toledo. The game ended after five innings due to the mercy rule. The Irish won their fifth straight game and improved to 36-9 overall. 

The middle of the order did damage for Notre Dame. Senior left fielder Leea Hanks knocked in two runs in her first two at-bats, and sophomore first baseman Karina Gaskins blasted a three-run shot off the scoreboard. The Irish also manufactured a run on a double-steal attempt. Gaskins got into a rundown between first and second, allowing Hanks to score from third. Between their efforts, the Irish led 6-0 after two frames. Freshman designated hitter Jane Kronenberger pushed the game into mercy-rule territory in the fourth inning, extending the lead to 8-0 with a double. 

The pitching staff dominated, holding Toledo to only two hits. Graduate student Alexis Holloway fired three innings and struck out four. Senior Payton Tidd matched that strikeout total over two hitless frames. The Irish have the weekend off and sit in fourth in the ACC. They’ll look to polish off their conference campaign next weekend against Louisville. 

Gracie Lee | The Observer
Sophomore Karina Gaskins, batting here against Georgia Tech, blasted a key three-run shot versus Toledo.

Holy Cross women’s tennis advances to CCAC Semifinals

Both Holy Cross tennis squads are into the CCAC tournament and the women’s team kicked off their postseason play on Tuesday. In their match at home against Judson, the Saints advanced with ease. The singles play came first, and Holy Cross only needed the minimum of four matches to clinch victory. Sophomores Anna Beer, Helga Lopez and Diane Maillotte all secured victories. Junior Clara Ruediger was the fourth winner. No set featured a final score closer than 6-3 in the sweep. 

Notre Dame baseball falls to MSU, 6-2

For the first time in head coach Link Jarrett’s tenure, the Irish lost a midweek game. This one came against Michigan State by a score of 6-2. The Irish beat the Spartans 2-1 earlier this season. 

Seniors first baseman Carter Putz and right fielder Brooks Coetzee each recorded two of the Irish’s nine hits. Coetzee and junior designated hitter Jack Brannigan knocked in Notre Dame’s runs. Junior right-handed pitcher Liam Simon struggled with command again, walking three and allowing two unearned runs. The Irish tied it with single tallies in the third and sixth, but Michigan State scored three off of sophomore Jackson Dennies to take a 5-2 lead in the bottom of the sixth. The Irish couldn’t get any more runs across and fell to 26-9. 

Notre Dame welcomes Boston College this weekend for an ACC series. They enter with an 11-7 ACC record. Despite their inconsistencies, they are tied for first in the Atlantic Division. They have a fantastic chance to win three more conference games against the Eagles (3-18 in ACC play).

Holy Cross Golf wraps up season

The Saints competed in the CCAC conference championships on Monday and Tuesday. The men’s team finished fourth of 11 teams. The Saints were just three strokes out of first place after a round of play, highlighted by junior Collin Todora. His first-round 69 was the only under-par effort in the field in the Monday morning round. It was the second-lowest score of the tournament. 

The Saints fell off the pace over the final two rounds, ultimately finishing 26 shots off the lead. However, Todora won the individual portion of the event, sinking a birdie putt on his 54th and final hole of the tournament to claim victory by one stroke. He advances to the 2022 NAIA National Tournament on May 17-20. 

Saint Mary’s tennis clinches conference tournament berth

The Belles played back-to-back conference matches on Tuesday and Wednesday, splitting the results and clinching a spot in the conference tournament. 

The Belles dropped their first match of the week to regionally-ranked Hope, 8-1. They got their one point against hope at the third doubles court. There, senior Nikki Rust and junior Kathleen McLeod edged out their counterparts by an 8-6 score. The Belles put up solid fights on other courts. Notably, their second doubles team, comprised of senior Meredith Heckert and junior Kalyn Borger, pushed Hope’s duo in an 8-5 loss. Freshman Alayna Campbell nearly stole a set, dropping the first set of her defeat by just a 6-4 margin. 

However, Saint Mary’s rebounded with a dominant 9-0 win over Albion on Wednesday. Campbell and junior Lucy Chamberlain set the tone at the top court, winning 8-1 and sparking a sweep of doubles. Chamberlain then delivered the clinching 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles. She was one of three Belles to win by that scoreline, as no Saint Mary’s player dropped more than two games in a set. 

Saint Mary’s begins the conference tournament next week after concluding their regular season on Friday. 

About Aidan Thomas

A junior marketing and ACMS major at Notre Dame, I've countered the success I've enjoyed as a New England sports fan with the painful existence of a Notre Dame football fan.

Contact Aidan