Holy Cross women’s tennis remains a young team to be reckoned with

With a team made up of a majority of freshman and sophomores, the Holy Cross women’s tennis team finished the 2022 season 8-14. While it was not easy, the Saints persevered. They secured wins against Huntington University, Grace College and Roosevelt University. The Saints were also able to finish the season with a 3-3 conference record. 

When asked what their greatest accomplishment was this past season, head coach Eric Mahone answered “navigating one of the hardest schedules in the country and doing that with essentially freshmen and sophomores in the starting lineup.” The Saints only had two seniors and one junior on the roster this year and had to rely on the underclassmen for strength. 

“We are so young, we knew this was a building year,” Mahone said. “Our women had an amazing year. We're really excited about next year because of how we ended up.” 

Specifically, Mahone pointed to sophomore Anna Beer for more than just her physical contributions. Halfway through the season Beer earned the team captain designation. "[Beer is] the glue that holds the team together,” Mahone said. “She's our best recruiter, she takes care of her teammates, always putting her team above herself. You know, all the characteristics you look for in a captain,” Mahone said. Beer played No. 2 and No. 3 singles and No. 1 doubles and was a key player in this year's lineup. 

While the Saints did not qualify for the national tournament, they did move past the first round of the CCAC tournament. With a 4-0 win against Judson University, the Saints cruised to the semifinals. However, they lost 4-0 to top-seeded Olivet Nazarene University. 

As the Saints are done with their 2021 season, they push onward into next year. Mahone noted some big aspirations for his team. 

“Our goals are pretty forward,” he said. “Definitely to win the conference championship next year when we are mostly juniors and sophomores, and I think we’re in position to do that.”

Mahone didn’t stop there, continuing to list off a number of goals for next season.

“Make the national tournament, have a ranking in the top 20,” he said. “We think they are absolutely achievable.” 

The Saints’ schedule will not get any easier next year. However, with the team maturing together, they will have that competitive edge that can take them far next year. However, their goals will not come without work. The Saints must continue to solidify their bond and sharpen their skills if they want to accomplish their goals.