Holy Cross(Word): Test your knowledge of the tri-campus community

1661706863-cc22a208d0d1a47-700x560
Maggie Klaers | The Observer
Maggie Klaers | The Observer

Download the crossword here

(Warning: The answers are below, so don’t peek!)

Hopefully you are looking at this page after completing the puzzle, but alas, I can’t stop you, so whether or not you did the crossword, enjoy some tri-campus and South Bend fun facts! 

1. There is lots of tailgating every game day!
  2. Baumer Hall is the newest men’s dorm on campus, built in 2019. The Buccaneers are located on West Quad, adjacent to McGlinn Fields: a great place to play football or have a picnic with friends!
  3. The “Four Horsemen” was a name given to Notre Dame’s quarterback Harry Stuhldreher, left halfback Jim Crowley, right halfback Don Miller and fullback Elmer Layden during the 1924 season. After defeating Navy 13-7, the foursome was given the name by sportswriter Grantland Rice who not only penned the game one of "the most famous football lead[s] of all-time," but gave the quartet football fame. 
  4. Holy Cross College is a part of the tri-campus community – Notre Dame’s neighbor to the west and south of Saint Mary’s. The Saints cheer on their many athletic teams with the help of their mascot, Basil the St. Bernard, and their passionate student body.
  5. The University of Notre Dame du Lac is the University’s full name, which means "The University of Our Lady of the Lake!" You might also recognize du Lac as the name of the student handbook.
  6. The “Word of Life” is the official name of Touchdown Jesus. The library’s facade is decorated with a mural featuring various Biblical figures and Catholic figures demonstrating the Faith’s historical continuity. The mural by Millard Sheets measures 134 feet high and 68 feet wide.
  7. The South Bend Cubs are our local minor league baseball team which plays at Four Winds Field — make sure to cheer on our local team!
  8. God Quad is considered to be Notre Dame’s main quadrangle (quad). According to legend, you should not walk on the lawn before taking both of your theology courses or you might fail. Be sure not to walk up the front steps of the Main Building before graduating!
  9. Reagan played George Gipp or the “Gipper” in the film about Knute Rockne’s legacy. In 1920, two weeks after his death, The Gipper was named Notre Dame’s first All American.
  10. Father John Ignatius Jenkins!
  11. Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, one of Notre Dame’s most iconic football figures who inspired a biographical film with the same name. Make sure to attend “Rudy” on The Field on Aug. 26 at 9 p.m. in the Stadium.
  12. Ring by Spring, will you be engaged by the spring of your senior year?
  13. The Log Chapel was the first chapel built on Notre Dame’s campus. Located near St. Mary’s Lake, it was one of the first Catholic places of worship in northern Indiana. 
  14. Notre Dame was established on Traditional land of the Potawatomi people.
  15. (across) The Snite Museum of Art is the current museum on campus. You might have been stumped because we are soon going to have a new museum, The Raclin Murphy Museum of Art. Make sure to check out the University’s impressive collection.
15. (down) The oldest dorm on campus is Sorin College, built in 1888, named after the University’s founder, Rev. Edward Sorin.
  1. The Observer is the student run newspaper which serves the tri-campus community: Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross. Make sure to pick up copies of the paper on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays!
  2. Badin Hall was established in 1897, located on South Quad, directly across from South Dining Hall. It’s the smallest women's dorm on campus, and it was the residence of Fr. Theodore Hesburgh at one time.
  3. (across) Old College is the Undergraduate Seminary for the Congregation of the Holy Cross. 
18. (down) Jordan Hall of Science opened in 2006 with 40 teaching labs, a greenhouse, an observatory and a Digital Visualization Theater.
  1. The Saint Mary’s Belles are a part of the tri-campus community, established by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1844. The all-women’s college, which neighbors Holy Cross and is positioned northwest of Notre Dame, is a strong and loving community.
  2. The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes is a 1/7 sized replica of the shrine where the Virgin Mary appeared to Saint Bernadette in 1858.
  3. WVFI student-run radio stationm located in Duncan Student Center; The Voice of the Fighting Irish.
  4. DomerFest is the concluding Welcome Weekend celebration filled with food, games, and music! In order to attend the festivities, students must wear their residence hall or transfer t-shirt.
  5. St. Joseph River (or St. Joe) flows through South Bend.