Categories
Sports

Saints soccer teams seek to gain momentum

With both squads’ seasons in full swing, the Holy Cross College men’s and women’s soccer programs seek to use recent success to gain momentum against upcoming road opponents.

Holy Cross Women’s Soccer 

After three games this season, the Holy Cross College women’s soccer team is still searching for their first victory. The Saints, now 0-0-3, drew Bethel University 3-3 and IU Kokomo 2-2 earlier in the season before playing the Indiana University East Red Wolves on Saturday. 

The Red Wolves contest ended in a 0-0 draw after 90 minutes, despite the best efforts of the Saints’ offense, who were able to outshoot the Red Wolves 16-8. The Red Wolves, however, were able to put more shots on goal, leading the Saints 7-6. Saints freshman goalkeeper Taylor Primack got the start and saved all seven shots on goal to keep the score level.

The Saints will continue to look for the team’s first win when they face the Goshen College Maple Leafs at home on Tuesday at 3 p.m. The Maple Leafs currently are 1-1, boasting a 4-1 win against Brescia University. The two squads have played six times, with the Saints losing all six. The two teams last played in 2018 when Goshen got the home victory, 2-0.

After playing Goshen, the Saints will hit the road, heading to Lourdes University in Sylvania, Ohio before beginning conference play.

Holy Cross Men’s Soccer

After falling 1-6 to Bethel University (No. 21 in the NAIA Preseason Coaches’ Top 25) the Holy Cross men’s soccer team picked up its first win against the IU East Red Wolves. The Saints scored early, with junior Gabe Nyenka scoring at the 10-minute mark, assisted by junior Victor Sellu.

Around the 30 minute mark, Dailen Troutman of IU East earned a yellow card, setting up a Saints free kick. The kick allowed sophomore Martin von Thun to convert a header, which was assisted by sophomore Isaac Filippo, putting the Saints up by two. 

After the half-time break, the Saints picked up where they left off, adding to their lead in minute 60 with a goal by senior Axel Valenzuela, with an assist from sophomore Juan Perez. 

The Saints outshot the Red Wolves 12-8, with the Saints putting nine shots on target to the Wolves’ two. Sophomore goalie Claudio Fuentealba saved both Red Wolves’ attempts. 

With their first win of the season secured, the men’s team looks to continue their winning streak against Goshen College at home this Wednesday at 3 p.m. In the series history, the Saints are 2-1-1. The last time the two teams faced off was in 2021, when the Saints won the neutral site match 4-0.  The Goshen Maple Leaves are currently 0-1-1.

Once the Saints play Goshen, they will travel to Sylvania, Ohio, where they will play the Gray Wolves of Lourdes University on September 7 at 4 p.m.

Observer Sports Staff

Contact sports@ndsmcobserver.com.