State of the Belles

Most of Saint Mary’s sports saw a young team take over last year's program. The fall sports are coming up on conference championships and only one of the Belles’ programs will head to the postseason.

Saint Mary’s cross country

Saint Mary’s cross country lost a significant number of runners before this season. Regardless, the team hoped to improve upon a 22nd-place NCAA tournament mark behind junior Amanda Tracy as they moved through the season. 

The Belles started the season strong at the Calvin invitational placing sixth out of 12 teams. Tracy led the Belles placing 31st and running a 24:39 (five seconds short of her 2021 personal record). Ultimately, Tracy has surpassed her personal record, running a 24:19.1 race at the Oberlin Inter-Regional Rumble, her most recent race. 

In their two most recent races, the Belles have been on the uptick. Against 36 teams, the Belles placed 29th at a DIII preview meet at Olivet College. Two weeks later the Belles arrived at the Rumble and placed 22nd against 33 teams and saw several personal records and season bests. 

As the Belles head into MIAA Conference Championship races on Friday, they’ll look to continue to set personal records and move up in the placements.

Saint Mary’s soccer 

Saint Mary’s soccer has yet to garner a win this season as the Belles are 0-7-1 at home and 0-5-2 away. The back line has been a strong wall but the Belles have lacked on the scoring front. In 15 games, the Belles have scored in just six of those, never scoring more than twice. Three of their scoring games ultimately resulted in a tie. 

While students were away from campus, the Belles dropped three games, getting outscored 6-2 in the process.

While the Belles are no longer in contention for the conference tournament, the last game of their season is Wednesday against Hope. The Thunder are 8-4-2 but the Belles will look to upset Hope and take home their first win of the season. As a young team still working out the kinks, the Belles will look to return stronger next season as conference championship play begins. 

Saint Mary’s volleyball

Saint Mary’s volleyball opened the season 3-1 before an intense 13-game losing streak derailed the Belles’ season. 

The Belles did, however, pick up two more wins during Fall Break, both of them at home. Against the Beloit Blue Devils, the Belles swept in their Pink Out Match on Oct. 14. Then, on Oct. 18, the Belles took down Olivet in a tight 3-2 match. Although they’re sitting outside the conference championship bracket, Saint Mary’s will look to get their first road win of the season against Adrian on Wednesday. 

Then, the Belles will celebrate Senior Day and close their season against Albion at home on Oct. 29, hoping to carry a little momentum into the 2023 season.