Observer Editorial: Now what? Activities for post-football season

Fall can be quite an overwhelming season in college. School, club activities, job applications and social events make a week fly by. Football season makes the weekend almost as tiring as the week, leaving you with even less free time to diversify your schedule. With just one home football game left, you might be wondering: What is there to do when Notre Dame’s most famous sports season is over? Well, look no further because here’s a guide to all the happenings around the tri-campus — from sports to art to music and everything in between — so you can really explore everything this community has to offer. 

Sports

In just two weeks, we won’t be spending our Saturdays at Notre Dame Stadium. However, there’s still plenty to enjoy in the world of Irish athletics. 

Remaining Fall Sports

Fall sports aren’t done! Notre Dame volleyball is a sneaky fun environment to catch a game, and they’ve got only two home games left, including one tonight at 6:30 p.m. And if you missed it, the Irish women’s soccer team earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, meaning they’ll host all their postseason games at Notre Dame through the Elite Eight. They start against Omaha on Saturday. Enjoy watching Michael Mayer be the best at what he does on the football field? You’ll also enjoy watching Korbin Albert being the best at what she does. Get out and watch this team during its final few games. 

Hockey Games 

You’ll find a lot of students who argue that the best athletic environment sans football is a hockey game. Notre Dame students frequently pack the student section and the band sits in the middle, blasting everyone’s game day favorites. The Irish finished a goal short of the Frozen Four last year and are consistently a ranked team, competing against some of the nation’s best. 

Your next chance to see them? This weekend against the No. 3 Michigan Wolverines. And if you can’t get a ticket in time, the Irish will return to Compton Family Ice Arena in December, and you can catch them in Big Ten action all winter long.

Men’s and Women’s Basketball

Two programs on the rise, Notre Dame men’s and women’s basketball, surged in student popularity last year. The men are coming off a Round of 32 appearance and host Youngstown State this Sunday. Want to wait for a bigger game? The Irish play Michigan State and Syracuse on Nov. 30 and Dec. 3, respectively, in a pair of massive home tilts.

On the women’s side, the Irish boast one of the best players in the nation in Olivia Miles, and she’s just a sophomore. The Irish reached the Sweet 16 last year and are eyeing bigger goals this season. They’ve got massive matchups against ranked rivals Maryland and UConn on Dec. 1 and 4, respectively. 

With halftime contests, t-shirt tosses, performances from the Notre Dame Pom Squad providing entertainment and the leprechaun, cheer team and band boosting the energy, Purcell Pavilion is the place to be when either basketball squad is in town. 

Olympic Sports

Notre Dame is a fencing school? You may have heard the expression, and it just might be true. The 12-time national champions have won back-to-back titles and will host the DeCicco Duals at the end of January. You can double up that weekend as well and catch the swimming and diving team host the Tim Welsh Classic. The Notre Dame track and field team usually hosts a meet or two throughout the season, so keep an eye out for that, as well. 

Art

Did you know that there is a flourishing art scene at Notre Dame? Of course, you can’t miss the Snite Museum of Art, but there are other amazing opportunities to get involved and learn more about the University’s creative community.

‘Daughters of Our Lady: Finding a Place at Notre Dame’ — Ongoing exhibition in 102 Hesburgh Library, Rare Books & Special Collections

In celebration of 50 years of coeducation at Notre Dame, senior archivist for photographs and graphic materials Elizabeth Hogan curated an exhibition which explores the University’s educational and institutional evolution. Through carefully selected archival materials, visitors will have the opportunity to visualize and contextualize Notre Dame’s journey from the turn of the century to 1972. Most importantly, this exhibit aims to highlight the pioneering women who helped shape the University to what it is today.

Artist Lecture: Rodrigo Lara — Nov. 16 from 5-6 p.m. in 200 Riley Hall

Everyone is welcome to join the department of art, art history and design for a lecture by multidisciplinary artist Rodrigo Lara Zendejas. Born in Mexico in 1981, Rodrigo Lara is known to explore the concept of fragmented memory as a result of his personal experiences with Catholicism, immigration and living in America. 

AAHD Gallery exhibition: ‘Darkness and Nothing More’ — Oct. 6 to Nov. 16 in 214 Riley Hall of Art

“Darkness and Nothing More” is an exhibition from Elizabeth M. Claffey, associate professor of photography at Indiana University-Bloomington and 2019-2020 research fellow at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction. Claffey’s work focuses on personal and familial identity, as well as an exploration of the body and culture.  

Pottery Sale — Dec. 6 to 8 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in 122 Riley Hall of Art

Come support student artists! Shop unique pieces by Bill Kremer, Coleton Lunt, Alexander Carmen, Hans Miles, Norah Amstuts and more.

Music 

As Christmas fast approaches, the University is hosting a number of musical performances to get in the holiday spirit. Even though we have Thanksgiving in between, make sure to mark your calendars and purchase tickets to some of these spectacular events.’

ND Chorale presents Handel’s ‘Messiah’ — Dec. 2 & 3 in Leighton Concert Hall

Ring in the holiday season with The Notre Dame Chorale and Festival Baroque Orchestra with their annual performance of Handel’s legendary oratorio, “Messiah.” This very performance has been a tradition for over 30 years.

Concert by Brooklyn Rider — Dec. 4 from 4 to 6 p.m. in LaBar Recital Hall, O’Neill Hall of Music

Brooklyn Rider is a string quartet from Brooklyn, New York, known for experimenting with genres, creating a uniquely contemporary sound. The string quartet has a long musical and cultural history, making it the perfect medium for invention and exploration. 

Jane Lynch’s ‘A Swingin’ Little Christmas’ — Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in Leighton Concert Hall

Remember when “Glee” star Matthew Morrison visited last year? Well, the trend is continuing and Notre Dame is welcoming Emmy-winning actress, singer, playwright, author and “Glee” castmember Jane Lynch to the stage. For one night only, Lynch invites everyone to come join her by the fireside for an evening of nostalgia and Christmans carols.

Film

Let’s all go to the movies! Many people are intimidated to go see a film at the Browning Cinema. Don’t be. There is something for everyone. Are you into indie films? Cult classics? International cinema? You can find anything that suits your taste and enjoy it from the comfort of campus. The Browning Cinema calendar has a list of showings and ticketing information.

Cultural happenings

Notre Dame Press Book Festival and Book Sale — Nov. 15 & 16 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Hesburgh Library Concourse

Are movies or music not so much your scene, but a quiet afternoon with a good book is? Try the annual Press Book Festival and Book Sale. This event has massive discounts and giveaways on all kinds of books, including $5 paperbacks and $7 hardbacks. Get great deals and replenish your reading supply.

An Evening with Ericka Huggins — Nov. 17 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the Annenberg Auditorium at the Snite Museum of Art

Notre Dame gives you the opportunity to interact and listen to a wide variety of insightful guest speakers. One such opportunity is this conversation with human rights activist and Black panther leader Ericka Huggins. The conversation will be followed by a reception and book signing. Additionally, copies of Huggins’ new book will be available for purchase.

Editor's note: This guide is not exhaustive! Look around on campus for other events. There is no shortage of things to do.