Categories
Viewpoint

What’s hot and what’s not

I’ve had the same coffee order for seven years. Seven years. That’s one thing that will probably never change. It’s well-established in my daily routine, and I can be stubborn when it comes to my coffee. But what about the everyday elements of life that ebb and flow, move up and down, change left and right? I present to you: Ins and outs circa December 2022.

Ins

1. Iced coffee: Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t drink a cold brew when it’s snowing outside.
  2. TikTok: Specifically journalism TikTok. Because if you’re going to scroll for hours, why not learn something while you’re at it.
  3. Thank-you notes.
  4. Asking questions: As Taylor said, “Can I ask you a question?”
  5. Bob Iger.
  6. Google Calendar: Bonus points for color-coding.
  7. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah: An interjection, meaning “an exclamation of happiness.”
  8. Florida: Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl, Purdue in the Citrus Bowl, 70 degree weather and Disney World? Count me in.
  9. The Muppets: I don’t know if you’ve caught on or not yet, but I’m kind of a Disney fan. Stream all Muppets movies on Disney+ and all award-winning albums on Spotify (or your streaming platform of choice).
  10. Christmas break: Four weeks, too!
  11. Journaling: After a semester of creative writing, I can confidently say that writing, no matter how unprofessionally done, can help tremendously with putting your thoughts into perspective. (Even ranting on a page.)
  12. Hats: Specifically warm hats. It’s more important to be toasty than look cute.
  13. Fantasy football: Dear Josh Jacobs, drafting you was the best decision I made this fall.
  14. Capricorn season.
  15. Complimenting your friends.

Outs

1. Boots: If Converse can get me through a snowy Boston College game they can survive anything.
  2. Breakfast: It’s called brunch at this point.
  3. Digital print editions.
  4. White elephants: But, Secret Santa is in. It’s more fun to buy a gift for someone specific.
  5. Twitter.
  6. Scooters: Here’s the background information.
  7. Shopping online.
  8. Class registration.
  9. Emojis in Instagram captions.
  10. Cryptocurrency.
  11. Disney World slander: Disney World is fun as an adult — I promise. My email is at the end if you don’t believe me.
  12. Ticketmaster (and dynamic pricing).
  13. Doing laundry in a dorm: Ick.
  14. Staying up late: On a never-ending journey to go to bed before midnight.
  15. Thinking about the future: Being in the moment is in.

I hope, if anything, this humorous short list of ins and outs made you think — about what you like, what you don’t like, what bothers you, what brings a smile to your face and what makes you, you.

Until next time.

Contact Alysa at aguffey@nd.edu

The views expressed in this Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.