-

-

Irish sweep four games in two days

| Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Notre Dame women’s tennis were back in action this weekend as they hosted a series of matches in Eck Tennis Pavilion. The Irish were on a hot streak as they secured a win of all four matches, bringing their official team record to 4-0 on the season. 

The first matchup of the weekend was against Michigan State where the Irish won with an astounding 7-0, pulling in essential momentum for the weekend. Junior Julia Andreach and sophomore Carrie Beckman started the afternoon out in No. 3 double spots for the Irish (6-0). Page Freeman and freshman Bojana Pozder were at the No. 1 spot and freshman Rylie Hanford and junior Yashna Yellayi notched a 6-4 win at No. 2. 

Again, the singles matches sealed their victories, as Michigan State couldn’t win any match. Pozder was the only single player — at No. 5 — that needed a third set. But ultimately the Irish pulled through in time to play Butler only a few hours later. 

The Irish lost one of three total matches against Butler, but still triumphed over the Bulldogs. 

Notre Dame saw a switch up in their doubles for the second game of the night. While Hanford and Yellayi played together again in the No. 2 spot (6-0), sophomore Maria Olivia Castedo and freshman Akari Matsuno played in the No. 3 spot, securing the doubles win for the Irish (6-2). 

The singles win was not as easy against Butler as it was against Michigan State. Sophomore Nibi Ghosh won her match in two games at the No. 1 spot (6-1 ,7-6). While multiple matches had to go to three sets, the Irish were able to win out 5-1 in singles. The only Butler point came from Hanford’s match, where she went three rounds (6-4, 4-6, 6-3) 

Even with this slight hiccup, the Irish came back stronger than ever against Xaviar Sunday. Again, Notre Dame did not drop a single point. 

The doubles teams of Yellayi and Hanford (No. 2) and Beckman and Andreach (No. 3) were back in action, and they did not disappoint. The third spot team dominated with a 6-1 victory, while the second spot team struggled, but ultimately earned the point (7-6, 7-3).

Notre Dame again swept singles, this time with Freeman in the No. 1 spot (6-2, 6-3). Again, only one player saw a third set; this time it was Ghosh in the No. 3 spot. Other than Ghosh, two 6-3 matches was the closest Xavier came to winning a point. 

The fourth and final match of the weekend proved to be the toughest for the Irish. Against UIC, Notre Dame dropped two of the total three points on the weekend. Despite this, the Irish did not show their fatigue and they, again, pulled through, delivering a 4-0 victory. 

The first point for UIC was during the doubles matches. Andreach and Beckman won their match in the No. 1 spot, but Pozder and Castedo could not in the second. For the first time of the weekend graduate student Alez Kuo and junior Sydney Sforzo played together, but they could not bring in the victory needed. 

The other dropped point came in the top spot of singles, where Freeman went to three sets but ultimately fell to her opponent. The Irish, however, did not play any softer, and Notre Dame won four of the remaining five games straight, only needing a third set for junior Meghan Coleman’s win in the sixth spot. 

Head coach Alison Silverio was impressed with her team’s performance on the weekend.

“To come out and play four matches, two double headers. Is that easy, physically or mentally?” Silverio remarked. “It’s a total team effort. Everyone that was inside the lines to everyone that was outside the line was a full unit.”

The Irish not only showed commitment to their team, but an incredible sign of endurance playing four matches in two days. However, Notre Dame does not have an easy schedule ahead of them. 

Notre Dame faces No. 14 University of Southern California on Saturday. This past weekend showed how strong of a roster the Irish have, but next weekend will be a true test to their talent. 

The Irish will travel to Georgia where they will face off against the Trojans in a neutral site on Saturday, Jan 27 at 11 a.m. ET. 

Contact Olivia Schatz at [email protected]

About Olivia Schatz

Contact Olivia