Fencing wins duals at Northwestern

This weekend the Notre Dame fencing team traveled to Northwestern University in Chicago to compete in the Northwestern Duals. The women’s team went 3-2 and the men’s team went 6-0. 

Against Northern Illinois University, the women won 19-8, going 5-4 in saber, 7-2 in foil and 7-2 in epee. California-San Diego ventured into the cold midwestern to lose to the Irish 24-3. the women’s team went 9-0 in saber, 8-1 in foil and 7-2 in epee. Afterward, the Irish beat the Air Force Academy 22-5. They went undefeated in saber, 7-2 in foil and 6-3 in epee.

However, the Irish finished the day with a pair of losses. Cornell beat Notre Dame 16-11, with the Irish winning in foil 6-3 but losing in saber 7-2 and epee 6-3. Against the host school, the Notre Dame Women’s Team lost 19-8, going 2-7 in saber, 3-6 in foil and 3-6 in epee. Notre Dame sabers went 23-4 in three victories, but they were just 4-14 in a pair of losses. In addition, their epeeists rolled, 20-7 in the opening three victories, but they faltered with a 6-12 overall record in the final two losses. The Irish foilists were most consistent, finishing 31-14. 

When they won, they averaged 21.7 points per match. The women averaged 5.4 points in saber, 5.4 points in foil and 5.2 points in epee. Freshman saber Kaitlyn Hulseburg picked up 5-0 victories in four of her bouts. Foilists Nicole Pustilnik and Zoe Barnette each went untouched by their opponent in three of their bouts. Juniors Maya Walker (foil) and Neve Harrison (saber) each had two bouts won by a 5-0 scoreline. 

The Notre Dame men’s team beat Lawrence University 26-1, losing only one match in saber. They improved on their 20-7 score against Lawrence last weekend at the Decicco Duals. The Irish went on to handle ACC foe Boston College, 18-9. They went 5-4 in saber, 5-4 in foil and 8-1 epee. The Irish went 21-6 against the Air Force Academy going 7-2 in saber, 8-1 in foil and 6-3 in epee. Then, they went 26-1 against the University of the Incarnate Word, losing only one bout in saber. Against Stanford, Notre Dame went 19-8 going 6-3 in saber, 7-2 in foil and 6-3 in epee. 

For the Irish men, the epeeists and foilists led the way, each going 38-7 on the day. The sabers finished 34-11. Sophomore foilist Phillip Dority and senior saber George Bivins each went won a pair bouts by a 5-0 margin. The Men’s team averaged 22 points per match. The men averaged 6.8 points in saber, 7.6 points in foil and 7.6 points in epee. 

In the spirit of Notre Dame unity, the ND Club Swim Team was also at Northwestern and went to cheer on the fencers before their own meet started. 

The Fencing team travels to Durham, North Carolina, next weekend to compete at a tournament at Duke in their last university tournament before the Junior Olympics, ACC Championship and NCAA Tournament. The Irish women's team is ranked No. 1, and the men are ranked fourth, as they look to get the program in position for a third straight national title.