Jung-Rezner wins Notre Dame student body election

With 1,254 votes, making up 50.22% of the total votes, Daniel Jung and Aidan Rezner have been elected the next student body president and vice president, respectively, as announced by the Judicial Council at 7 p.m. on Thursday evening. The ticket was elected in a 30% turnout vote, down from the previous year's turnout of 57.82%.

The results breakdown sent to students in a Thursday evening email. | Courtesy of Judicial Council

Jung and Rezner are both sophomore students and currently serve as sub-directors of the communications department in student government. The pair campaigned on a platform that categorizes its policies into three key areas: student life which includes health and enrichment, enhancement of both the campus as well as community and issues concerning diversity and inclusion.

"The number one word in our slogan is listen,” Rezner said in an interview with The Observer Editorial Board.

The results of the election were delayed due to allegations filed to the Judicial Council late Wednesday evening. The council has released that two of the allegations filed were against Derick Williams and Hunter Brooke for distributing an unsanctioned link to potential voters. The allegations resulted in an official apology by Williams and Brooke on their campaign Instagram and removal of 20 votes from their election total, 10 for each incorrect link.

Williams-Brooke ended up with 685 votes making up 27.43% of the total, and Oropeza-McAndrews received 535 votes and 21.43% of the total.

The ticket just barely passed the 50% margin, which is necessary for winning the election. Not reaching that margin would have resulted in a run-off election between the top two candidates.