Mendoza announces NIL-themed Ethics Week

Next week, the Mendoza College of Business will host its 25th annual University of Notre Dame Ethics Week.

This year the topic hits close to home for student athletes — “NIL Revenue: Its Ethical Benefits and Blemishes.”

“While some college athletes have made millions off of their name, image and likeness (NIL) thanks to a change in NCAA rules, the debate still rages: Is NIL a good thing or a bad thing for college sports and student-athletes?" the press release issued on Tuesday asks.

The release also said that Ethics Week “honors the legacy of John Houck, a Notre Dame management professor who authored numerous works on business ethics, including “Is the Good Corporation Dead?”

The week's events kick off on Feb. 13 and go until Feb. 17. The panel discussions are free, open to the public and will be held in Mendoza Hall’s Jordan Auditorium.

The discussions will take place from noon to 1 p.m. daily throughout the week.

Notre Dame Ethics Week culminates in the final talk, “NIL and Sport Marketing: Complementary or Conflict of Interest?,” which will be held in Mendoza room 258 and presented by Jonathan Jensen, an associate professor of sport administration in the department of exercise and sport science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The talk will be moderated by adjunct professor Scott Nestler.