Scene's ultimate guide to 2023 music festivals

1679440225-2cb97c05d9f97a7-700x467

All over the world, people pay big bucks and travel thousands of miles to see their favorite artists at music festivals. Around this time of year, it can be overwhelming to figure out which are worth your money — but we can help! We’ve collected the details for some of the biggest and best music festivals around the country to help you make your decision. This article includes information about each festival’s location, timing, general admission price for the weekend, the headliners and who we think you should look out for (the Lyons-Falk Factor).

Sound of SUB

Where: Stepan Center

When: March 24

Tickets: $18 (sold out but waitlist is available)

Headliners: Noah Kahan and Chelsea Cutler

Lyons-Falk Factor: Having been extremely popular on TikTok in recent months, Noah Kahan should definitely be on your radar. We’re also stoked to see student headliners Lucy Bullock, Libby Garnett and Luke Holen perform.

Boogaloo 

Where: Stepan Center

When: March 30

Tickets: Free

Headliners: Whisk and Ratboys

L-F Factor: Come support Notre Dame’s own independent bands and performers Fall Out Shelter, Ian Jee, Michael Hanisch, Pangdemonium, Blanc Daze, Whisk and Ratboys. We’re big fans of Whisk at The Observer, but Mike Hanisch’s killer covers might steal the show! 

Coachella

Where: Indio, California

When: April 14-16 (sold out, but waitlist is available), April 21-23 

Tickets: $549 + fees

Headliners: Bad Bunny, BLACKPINK and Frank Ocean

L-F Factor: Due to the size of Coachella (and their insane lineup), we thought it was too difficult to choose our favorites. All we know is that Idris Elba and his burgeoning DJ career, as well as Frank Ocean and Bjork’s supposed collab, will be hot topics of conversation.

Shaky Knees

Where: Atlanta

When: May 5-7 

Tickets: $269

Headliners: The Killers, Muse and The Lumineers

L-F Factor: Shaky Knees has an amazing lineup, especially for fans of the rock genre. From Tenacious D and The Flaming Lips to Greta Van Fleet and Lovejoy, the festival has a great mix of artists new and old. 

Kilby Block Party 

Where: Salt Lake City

When: May 12-14

Tickets: $219

Headliners: The Strokes, Pavement and Yeah Yeah Yeahs

L-F Factor: This is a lineup that we are both absolutely stoked about (We are also upset about it, because we don’t live near Utah). The Yeah Yeah Yeahs always prove to be great live, Ethel Cain’s performance is bound to be transcendental and soul-cleansing and The Backseat Lovers have a fun and unique discography that should shine in concert. 

Adjacent Music Festival

Where: Atlantic City, New Jersey

When: May 27-28

Tickets: $359

Headliners: Paramore and Blink-182

L-F Factor: Adjacent is a music festival for all the alt-rockers. Including classic emo headliners Paramore and Blink-182, Atlantic City will be hosting punk bands PUP, The Front Bottoms, Mannequin Pussy and soloist Jeff Rosenstock. Slower bands include the thoughtful Slaughter Beach, Dog and Japanese Breakfast.

Wonderworks 

Where: Pittsburgh

When: May 27-28

Tickets: $150

Headliners: Hozier and Jason Mraz

L-F Factor: Do you have a Nalgene and Chacos? Does your idea of a good time include hammocking and trail running? Then we have the granola music festival of your dreams! Hozier, Mt. Joy, The Head and the Heart, COIN and Michigander will give the performances of a lifetime.

Bonnaroo 

Where: Manchester, Tennessee

When: June 6-18

Tickets: $340

Headliners: Kendrick Lamar, Odesza and Foo Fighters

L-F Factor: From rap artists like Kendrick Lamar and Baby Keem to folk singer-songwriters like Tyler Childers and Madison Cunningham, Bonnaroo has something for everyone. Lil Nas X performs next to Rina Sawayama and Peach Pit. 

Pitchfork 

Where: Chicago

When: July 21-23

Tickets: $219

Headliners: Alvvays, Big Thief and Bon Iver

L-F Factor: Leading music magazine Pitchfork puts together a great lineup of up-and-coming artists. Alvvays, Big Thief and Bon Iver will draw you in, but you’ll be entertained by JPEG Mafia’s experimental rap or Julia Jacklin’s playful lyricism. 

Lollapalooza

Where: Chicago

When: Aug. 3-6

Tickets: $365 

Headliners: Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Odesza, Lana Del Rey, Karol G, the 1975 and TOMORROW X TOGETHER

L-F Factor: For true music fanatics, Lollapalooza is the place for you — what other music festival could combine K-pop, TikTok hits, 2013 favorites and rock classics so effortlessly? Be on the lookout for Men I Trust, Yung Gravy, Junior Mesa, Beabadoobe, Hemlocke Springs and Lil Yachty if you decide to make the trip to Chi-Town.

Hinterlands

Where: Saint Charles, Iowa

When: Aug. 4-6

Tickets: $250

Headliners: Bon Iver, Zach Bryan and Maggie Rogers

L-F Factor: If you can make it out to Iowa, the remoteness of Hinterlands is worth the killer lineup. Including the stacked list of headliners, you get the best of folk music today: Wallows, Orville Peck, Faye Webster, Del Water Gap and Tomberlin.

WonderBus

Where: Columbus, Ohio

When: Aug. 25-27

Tickets: $179

Headliners: Pitbull, Demi Lovato and Caamp

L-F Factor: Though WonderBus is small, she is mighty. What better excuse to go see Pitbull? Other than Mr. Worldwide, Brittany Howard’s vocal prowess should be mind-melting, Portugal. The Man is sure to light up the stage with their alt-rock bops and The Driver Era is sure to make all “Austin and Ally” fans scream and swoon.