Holy Cross President Marco Clark expresses optimism in inaugural address

“I believe that this is our time,” Holy Cross President Dr. Marco Clark declared during his presidential inauguration Saturday afternoon.

Clark, the first layman to serve as president of the College, has held the role of Holy Cross’ sixth president for the past nine months after succeeding Fr. David Tyson.

1679872379-c5029df6c1afa89-700x444
Liam Kelly
Dr. Marco Clark was inaugurated as Holy Cross College's sixth president Saturday.

Following an academic procession accompanied by bagpipes, Bishop of the Diocese Fort Wayne-South Bend Kevin Rhoades delivered the event’s invocation.

Rhoades was next joined by other prominent figures in the South Bend community, including mayor James Mueller, Notre Dame President Fr. John Jenkins and Saint Mary’s President Katie Conboy.

Mayor Mueller expressed excitement for what is to come under the leadership of Clark.

Jenkins also offered praise of the new leader.

“I can think of no one better to carry forward this extraordinary legacy and ministry of the brothers as president of this Holy Cross College than you,” Jenkins said to Clark.

After the introductions, Clark was presented with the ceremonial mace and medal of Holy Cross and then officially proclaimed president.

Beginning his inaugural address, Clark described the gratitude he felt to be in his position.

“The most pressing emotion in my heart right now is grateful,” Clark said. “I'm grateful that I get to fulfill my vocation, my destiny, through this ministry of leadership and Catholic higher education at Holy Cross. I have found my deep gladness here.”

Clark focused on his predecessor Fr. David Tyson who served as president for five years, praising Tyson’s guidance of Holy Cross through a difficult financial time.

“This College is one of the few in the country that is debt free, that has a growing endowment… and that has established an academic and faith identity that is worthy of national and international recognition,” Clark said.

Clark described his gratitude for the school’s “world-class” faculty and staff as well as the brothers of the Holy Cross, who he credited for helping him “discern a vocation” in Catholic education.

Clark also said he was humbled to be given the honor of serving as president.

“I’m also humbled to be in this position of getting close and doing the work of the church in Catholic higher education, which shapes students in the image of Christ, to create a world in which love and justice prevail,” Clark said. 

Above all, Clark described his mood as “hopeful” for the future of Holy Cross.

“This young college has certainly been through its fair share of afflictions, trials and difficulties,” Clark noted. “She has borne her crosses. Through the resilient spirit of the Congregation of Holy Cross and trust in divine providence our College today is poised for a bright future.”

Clark pointed to recent trends in admissions to support his optimism.

“The application numbers for Holy Cross College this year are double what they were this time last year and the highest in the history of the College,” he touted.

Clark then turned his sights to the future, offering a preview of his five-year plan for the College.

“I have a vision for a vibrant and expanded campus that prides itself on academic excellence and faith formation, high impact teaching and learning, a student body that is actively engaged in academic and student life and a college which offers programs that widen access, while enhancing outcomes and learning,” Clark explained.

One of the main priorities of this five-year plan will be the improvement of the College’s facilities, Clark said.

“We’re going to expand and renew construction, and we’re going to repurpose [and] remodel the learning and the work environments to better meet the needs of the College,” he said.

Clark also reassured any concerned students that on-campus dining options would be expanded in the future.

Outlining his plans to expand Holy Cross’ academic offerings, Clark added that he hopes to offer microcredentials and certification programs for students.

“Imagine walking away with an undergraduate degree and microcredentials in IT areas… project management, continuous improvement, leadership, nonprofit management and so much more,” Clark said.

Holy Cross will also seek to expand its academic partnership programs with Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s through the Gateway and Driscoll programs, Clark said. Clark also raised the possibility of growing those pathways beyond the tri-campus area.

Another goal of the five-year plan will be to double down on the liberal arts, Clark said.

“In an era in which many colleges and universities are straying from this core foundation, at Holy Cross College we’re leaning into the liberal arts even more with an integrative interdisciplinary approach that provides a well rounded, flexible and personalized foundation that can prepare our students for success in many different fields,” Clark said.

Focusing on the College’s Catholic character will be central to all parts of the plan, Clark added.

“I want to teach our students to seek the Lord wholeheartedly and approach their intellectual pursuits with humility and openness in a culture of encounter,” Clark said. 

Clark also described his goal to make the college a “hub" for “faith-based service and justice ministry.” 

Concluding his remarks, Clark reemphasized his feelings of hope for the future of the College.

“The late Pope Benedict stated that those who have hope act differently,” Clark said. “I hope you see I act differently. And it's because I have such great hope for the future of Holy Cross College.”