Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Saint Mary’s senior comprehensive project exhibition

1680121942-939f4a0611fea11-700x467

Saint Mary’s College seniors in the departments of ceramics, design and photography displayed artwork as a part of their senior comprehensive project. The artwork is displayed in Moreau Gallery and will be shown until April 2. The seniors from various fields of study showcased their devotion to curating art through their exhibits.  

1680109797-3fc1fb163c44d46-700x525
"Plenti" by Grace Aubry

Aubry’s display name comes from the brand Plenti. The brand Plenti aims to "call attention to the largely negative environment and social impacts of the disposable economy that we find ourselves in." On display is a collection of t-shirts, a button-down and tote bags meant to encourage mindful practices when choosing products. The items on display contain information regarding sustainability and emphasizes the importance of not purchasing items that serve no purpose. One t-shirt on display highlights a number of alternative fabrics including linen, organic hemp, organic cotton, bamboo linen, organic wool and encourages researching fabrics. The tote bag draws attention to the widespread use of plastic bags stating, "more than 800 billion plastic bags are used each year." The display spreads awareness about the importance of sustainability in fashion but in other areas. 

1680109900-a45ab7a7d0c5a67-700x525
"A Family Dinner" by Diana Cervera

Cervera’s display depicts a family dinner, containing pottery made by Cervera that was inspired by her family. Cevera’s display, according to the statement, at the exhibit combines two of her loves. It incorporates her love of science and art. Cervera uses a number of different elements in expressing the idea of a family dinner. The table used is similar to a coffee table and has pillows as opposed to chairs. On the table, there is a combination of bowls, plates and cups. The centerpiece of the table is a yellow pitcher. The exhibit highlights an aspect of Cervera’s life that is important to her.  

1680109929-789e0ad1eb1719b-700x525
"Contemplative Goods" by Elisabeth Gangwer

The name of the display comes from the brand "Contemplative Goods." Gangwer’s display features six candles from the brand. The main goal of the brand according to Gangwer’s written statement accompanying the exhibit is “to provide high quality handmade candles with a contemplative message on the candle.” The display highlights this brand and what the company wants to provide for consumers.  

1680110163-67d2b9399f29ea7-700x525
"Let’s Play" by Anna Mason

Mason’s displays feature a number of components. Mason’s statement accompanying her exhibit discusses Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, N.Y. The museum houses over 400,000 objects related to play. Mason’s exhibit features interactive components similar to the museum. The collection features a puzzle and, once put together, the statement “Let’s Play” is seen. In addition to the interactive features, there are posters and visuals accompanying the exhibit. There are photographs of the museum and a flyer for an event the museum held on March 25. Mason’s display provides visitors with information about a museum and encourages playfulness regardless of age. 

1680109973-b3991e70d7b44a8-700x525
"Striped Burial" by Hannah O’Farrell

O’Farrell’s display contains a number of components and aims to tackle the subject matter of grief. Photography described by O’Farrell is "a platform to express my personal experiences with loss." O’Farrell’s exhibit contains an Inkjet print titled "Sympathy Cards" portraying a photo of a child and a figure covered by statements pertaining to sympathy. Another Inkjet print titled "Funeral Flowers" is interwoven with statements including several letters headed with the words "With Deepest Sympathy." The exhibit contains images and objects meant to showcase a variety of things. In the exhibit is an American flag with words written on it. O’Farrell describing the writing on the flag in typed words accompanying the display says, "Permanently affixing my father’s last words on the flag and breaking the flag protocol, directly highlights the permanent harm done by stigmatizing the issue of suicide."