Belles lacrosse take down Calvin in road conference clash

It was a successful weekend in Grand Rapids, Michigan for the Saint Mary’s lacrosse team as they captured a 12-9 win over the Calvin Knights. This win brings the Belles to 8-5 on the season. The Belles were off to a quick start in gameplay, scoring the first three goals in the first five minutes. Sophomore midfielder Valentina Rubio, senior midfielder Erin Dotson and sophomore attack Christiana Singler found the net early. Calvin countered with a goal, but Dotson and senior midfield Molly Mullett were right behind them to make it 5-1. Calvin scored twice to make it 5-3. However, Mullett put away a goal off an assist from junior attack Julia Gorski for 6-3 at the end of the first.

Dotson started things off in the second quarter with another goal before Calvin used a player-up opportunity to make it 7-4. Freshman Alyssa Grant found the net for the Belles shortly after. Building on their momentum from before, the Knights notched a three-goal spurt to bring it to 8-7, closing it to a one-goal game. Calvin played hard this period, saving shots from the Belles and racking up the points. The one-goal difference remained into the third quarter. Nevertheless, the Belles never lost their lead and instead turned on the pressure. 

In the third, a strong performance by sophomore goalie Emma Zmudzinski contributed to the Belles’ defensive lockdown on the Knights. A yellow card against the Knights allowed the Belles to get back into action with goals by Dotson and Grant. Zmudzinski kept up the saves, and the Belles lengthened the lead with a 10-7 advantage into the final quarter. 

With just 22 seconds into the final quarter, Gorski scored back-to-back and chipped in an assist. Calvin snuck in two more goals but the offense was ultimately shut down by Zmudzinski to cap off the 12-9 win for the Belles. Dotson led the Belles with four goals, three draw controls, a ground ball and a caused turnover. Mullett, Gorski and Grant all had two goals apiece. Rubio and Singler each notched a goal as well. Zmudzinski had a career-high of 13 saves in goal and eight ground balls.  

The Belles travel to Kalamazoo on Wednesday, April 19 for a 7 p.m. matchup against the Hornets.