End-of-the-year tunes: My junior year in music

1680639914-04713b2d709419c-700x467
Image credits: 7S Management, NPO 3FM, Britannica, NME, Wikipedia
Image credits: 7S Management, NPO 3FM, Britannica, NME and Wikipedia

At the end of every school year, I enjoy reflecting on the people, places and experiences that I’ve had the opportunity to encounter. I also find joy in seeing how my music has changed. Anyone who knows me knows that my music taste is a defining aspect of my life, and it’s a constant delight to discover new things. As this semester begins to wind down, I’d like to look back on the albums that have made my junior year unique. 

“How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful” by Florence + The Machine

In my opinion, this is Florence Welch’s best album. The production is clean and resounding. There’s a beautiful mix of upbeat and slower songs. Lyrically, the imagery and emotional evocation are unmatched. Also, it seems like the band is having so much fun making it, which is always a bonus. I first encountered this album in my high school years when my dance teacher choreographed something to “Delilah.” It took me a while to come back to the piece, but I’m so glad I did. I constantly have a new favorite song from the album, though “Various Storms & Saints,” “Which Witch” and “Queen of Peace” stand out. 

“DECIDE” by Djo

Djo is a somewhat newer solo artist, though he has previously played in the psychedelic rock band Post Animal. While you might not know him by name, I’m sure you’ve at least heard of his popular performance as Steve Harrington in the Netflix series “Stranger Things.” Yes, Steve “The Hair” Harrington (Joe Keery) is also a musical artist. His first album “Twenty Twenty” was good — full of hits like “Roddy” and “Chateau (Feel Alright)” — but “DECIDE” is better. It’s a smart and incisive commentary on fame, media and the modern world. It’s electronic and eccentric. Thematically and sonically, it’s solid, and it shows great promise for Keery’s future musical ventures.

“Pet Sounds” by The Beach Boys

Was this album released in 1966? Yes. Am I just now getting to it? Yes. Is it probably one of the best albums of all time? Undoubtedly. While I sat on a plane on the way to Dublin this past September, I decided to watch a documentary about The Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson titled “Long Promised Road.” A large variety of things were discussed during this film, but “Pet Sounds” was a primary focus, as the LP was Brian Wilson’s pet project. This album transcends decades, providing some of the most recognized and well-known hits like “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” and “God Only Knows.” Wilson’s ingenuity shines through in the harmonies and in the lyricism, touching the mind and the soul of humans then and now. 

“Man-Made Sunshine” by Man-Made Sunshine

Man-Made Sunshine is the solo project of Nothing But Thieves’ lead singer and frontman Conor Mason. Mason is not only an operatically trained vocalist, but he’s a great songwriter. “Life’s Gonna Kill You (If You Let It)” was the first song to be released off of his self-titled EP. The themes from the single — which are continued throughout the EP — encourage the listener to persevere through the rough moments in life. I’m not a personal fan of these sentiments when they aren’t done well, but “Man-Made Sunshine” radiates with Mason’s introspective and vulnerable lyricism. The instrumentation reflects this well, making it worth a listen. 

“Swimmer” by Tennis

Whenever I tell people that I like Tennis, they always assume I’m talking about the sport. Despite putting out consistently good albums since 2011, the husband-wife duo is not as well-known as it should be. “Swimmer” is one of their more recent releases, succeeded only by “Pollen,” which was released in February of this year. Though it is only nine songs, each is expertly crafted and sonically pleasing. “Need Your Love” is an obvious hit, with a catchy chorus and exciting tempo changes. “I’ll Haunt You” is a grand showcase of lead singer Alaina Moore’s vocal ability. “Matrimony II” is a touching ballad about the duo’s marriage, rounding out the album perfectly.