Jack Swarbrick to step down in 2024, NBC Sports chairman Pete Bevacqua tabbed as successor

1567035003-8686b3f7a054989-658x700
Observer File Photo
Notre Dame director of athletics Jack Swarbrick watches the men’s basketball team's 64-60 win over Georgia Tech in 2017.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick will step down as the athletic director of Notre Dame in early 2024, Sports Illustrated’s Pat Forde first reported earlier Thursday. NBC Sports chairman Pete Bevacqua will leave Notre Dame football’s long-time broadcast partner July 1 and serve as special assistant to the president for athletics before taking over for Swarbrick as athletic director.

Since his tenure began in 2008, Swarbrick has largely overseen a successful era of Irish athletics. Notre Dame has won a single national championship in men’s and women’s soccer, women’s basketball and, most recently, men’s lacrosse less than two weeks ago. The Irish also continued their tradition as a fencing powerhouse, highlighted by winning the last three national championships. Perhaps most importantly, Swarbrick re-established the football program in the upper echelon of the college ranks. During his tenure, the Irish reached a BCS National Championship Game and two College Football Playoffs. He also oversaw the Campus Crossroads project in 2017 that modernized Notre Dame Stadium.

In recent years, Swarbrick oversaw the hiring of a new head football coach, men’s and women’s basketball head coaches, the University’s switch to the ACC in all sports but football and hockey and the onset of name, image and likeness (NIL).

Bevaqua’s roots with the Irish date back over three decades. Bevacqua graduated magna cum laude from Notre Dame in 1993 and during his time on campus walked on to the football team as a punter. He served as CEO of PGA of America from 2012 until 2018 before arriving at NBC Sports, where he has worked since.