Friday, June 28, 2024

Study Abroad Week informs students of international possibilities

Monday marked the beginning of this year’s “Study Abroad Week,” which was organized and provided by Notre Dame International’s (NDI) study abroad department in collaboration with the student government. Each day, three to four information sessions regarding a different topic about study abroad are held in different locations throughout campus.

There is a wide range of information sessions offered. There are info sessions for studying in Latin America, Rome, Athens and more, as well as informative sessions about summer programs offered by the University.

The main goal of this week is to provide plenty of information about studying abroad, so students can make an “informed” decision about where to travel according to Hong Zhu, senior director of global education.

In addition to the info sessions, NDI has partnered with the Notre Dame student government to provide student identity panels. Each panel focuses on sharing the guidance of students with diverse backgrounds who have studied abroad.

This includes students who are members of the LGBTQ+ community, students with disabilities and students from various racial and ethnic backgrounds.

“We want students to have all this information to discern what is the best place for them to go,” Zhu said.

Sessions have been scheduled to be spread out across the week at different times to offer students flexibility with class schedules. Zhu said students who want to study abroad should try to make at least one session this week.

“You must be flexible and think about your goals for this experience,” Zhu said. “And through understanding your individual goals and the information provided for each study abroad location, you can choose the right place to study.”

Similar Zhu’s advice, senior Ceci Guarnuccio advised students to take the time and look at courses offered for each city.

“Unfortunately not every program has courses for every major and considering the courses that line up with my four year plan really helped to narrow down my choices of where to study,” Guarnuccio said.

Students can learn more about courses offered for each program through a meeting with study abroad advisors or by attending the various city info sessions.

There is also a “Global Professional Experience Program” info session that discusses professional internship opportunities that take place during the summer that are located in various parts of the world.

“Students need a cultural competency. They need to experience the culture in order to be transformed into future leads who are a force for good,” Zhu said.