Sunday, June 30, 2024

Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan to visit Notre Dame in late September

1694172205-afbcf35ea67f28a-700x525
U.S. Supreme Court justice Elena Kagan will join Notre Dame Law School dean G. Marcus Cole for a conversation in Leighton Concert Hall on Sept. 22.

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan is coming to Notre Dame on Sept. 22.

The office of University President John Jenkins announced the visit in a campus-wide email Friday morning.

Kagan will join Notre Dame Law School dean G. Marcus Cole for a "conversation" in the Leighton Concert Hall of the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (DPAC) at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 22.

“I hope this important conversation will encourage each of us to reflect more deeply on the privileges and responsibilities of citizenship and how we can contribute to the flourishing of our democracy,” Jenkins said in the announcement.

The event is exclusive to Notre Dame community members with a University identification card. A limited number of tickets will be available on a first-come,-first-served basis at the DPAC ticket office one hour prior to the event.

According to the email, the visit is in connection with the Notre Dame Forum, which was established in 2005 by Jenkins to stimulate campus-wide dialogue. This academic year, the theme of the Notre Dame Forum is "The Future of Democracy."

Kagan will be the seventh of nine sitting Supreme Court justices to visit campus in recent years. Justices Amy Coney Barrett and Brett Kavanaugh each taught a week-long seminar at the London study abroad program last spring.