Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024

Fisher and Pangborn residents react to demolition news

On Tuesday evening the residents of Fisher and Pangborn halls met with their hall staff and vice president for student affairs Fr. Gerry Olinger where they learned their dorms will be demolished at the end of the year, with residents of Pangborn moving to the new residence hall being constructed on East Quad and residents of Fisher moving to Zahm Hall for two years before returning to a new dorm on the current site of Fisher hall.

The decision was not entirely a surprise to some, as residents of both halls said they had heard rumors that their dorms would be torn down before the official announcement.

“I had previously heard the rumors of us moving to the new hall, so I wasn’t completely surprised when I first heard about it,” Stephen Holland, a freshman in Pangborn said.

Nevertheless, the news was still impactful to the residents. Adam Akan, a sophomore in Fisher, described the mood in Fisher after the news dropped.

“We’re overall pretty heartbroken,” Akan explained. “It was a really somber night last night, a really somber morning.”

Joseph Tunney, a sophomore in Fisher noted he won’t be able to show the dorm to his family in the future.

“So many ND grads will be able to go back and show their families where they lived when they were in college, and I won’t get that opportunity,” Tunney said.

Michael Schlueter, a sophomore in Pangborn expressed his appreciation for the hall despite its quirks.

“I will surely miss the place,” Schlueter said. “It isn’t the nicest, but that’s how college dorms usually are. I’ll miss being in this area on South Quad.”

A common sentiment amongst residents of Fisher was dismay over the changing of the Fisher name to an, as of yet, undisclosed name for the new dorm on Fisher’s site.

“What is most frustrating is that the name of the new dorm will not be Fisher once it is built, meaning that the hall as we know it will be gone,” Tunney lamented. 

Residents of both halls will have to acclimate to new living arrangements next year — a prospect that elicited both excitement and trepidation.

“I ... was relieved that we were going to the new hall instead of Zahm Hall for the next two years,” Holland said. “Although it feels a little awkward moving out of the dorm after the first year, we have a strong community here. A change in physical building and scenery isn’t going to change that, so I would say I feel comfortable with the move.”

Some residents are grateful for the opportunity to stay together in their dorm community, but recognize that a significant part of this culture will be missing.

“A big part of our culture is tied to our building and losing our building, even though it may be outdated and may not be up to the university standards anymore, is still really depressing,” Akan said.

Other residents are optimistic about the transition.

“We’re excited to move to Zahm and look to bring the Fisher traditions with us as well,” Ben Smith, a sophomore resident of Fisher said.

Overall, residents emphasized that the experience is a complicated one.

“While I am disappointed with the decision on Fisher being demolished, I understand the rationale provided by the office of residential life,” Tunney said. “I am thankful that we will continue to have our own community, despite the building being demolished, that will hopefully continue the greatest aspects of Fisher culture. I truly believe that we have the tightest community of any dorm, and it isn’t because of the building.”

Michael Scannell, also a resident of Pangborn, expressed a similar sentiment.

Scannell said, “We recognize that the great traditions and lasting memories that have been created in this building we know as Pangborn, but we are also excited to start a new chapter in a different building with the same culture.”