Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

History of the Matchup: Notre Dame vs. USC 

1697146951-950b5490b474b42-700x628
USC quarterback Caleb Williams (left) turns away from Irish graduate defensive lineman Nana Osafo-Mensah right during Notre Dame's 38-27 loss to the Trojans at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Nov. 26, 2022.

On Saturday, No. 21 Notre Dame looks to redeem itself at home against No. 10 USC after a tough road loss against Louisville. The Irish and Trojans have been battling against each other for almost a century now. And it has now become one of the most iconic cross-coast rivalries in sports. Here’s a look at some of the more notable matchups from their 93-matchup history. 

2005: USC 34, Notre Dame 31 

Out of all of the matchups between USC and Notre Dame, the legendary “Bush Push” game is arguably the most iconic of them all. Coming into the game, USC was blazing hot with a 27-game win streak. After a disappointing 6-6 season from the Irish the year prior, which resulted in the firing of head coach Tyrone Willingham, fans were just hoping for a competitive matchup. This game would deliver that and then some. 

Led by former Heisman-winning running back Reggie Bush, USC knocked off the Irish in controversial fashion. Bush had a monster, 160-yard and three-touchdown performance. On the other side, the Irish were led by quarterback Brady Quinn and wide receiver Jeff Samardzija who delivered heroic performances in their own right. The Irish came within inches taking down the nation’s number one team. 

After the Trojans converted on a crucial fourth-and-nine play, USC quarterback Matt Leinart rushed toward the goal line and fumbled out of bounds. Leinart fumbled the ball at the four-yard line and was wrongfully rewarded with a spot at the one-yard line. This would lead to the controversial “Bush Push,” where Reggie Bush pushed his quarterback into the end zone on a sneak. At that time, pushing the ball carrier was against the rules. However, USC would take advantage of the missed call and keep their massive win streak alive. 

2010: Notre Dame 20, USC 16 

USC was an almost unbeatable powerhouse in the 2000s. The Irish had not been able to knock off the Trojans dating all the way back to 2001. However, with the departure of legendary USC head coach Pete Carroll and the addition of Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly, both teams were shifting into new eras. With Carroll, who only lost to the Irish in his first season as head coach, gone, the Irish were hoping to finally take out their cross-coast rival. 

Down 16-13 late in the 4th quarter, the Irish needed a big drive to finally get over the hump against their kryptonite. On a 77-yard, physical touchdown drive led by quarterback Tommy Rees and running back Robert Hughes, the Irish delivered. But Notre Dame still needed one more stop to seal the game. Irish safety Harrison Smith would come up with a clutch interception and help Notre Dame secure their first win against USC since 2001. This moment marked the beginning of a new era in South Bend. 

2012: Notre Dame 22, USC 13 

With an Irish trip to the BCS National Championship on the line, the Trojans looked to be spoilers. Led by star quarterback Everett Golson and linebacker Manti Te'o, the Irish were in position to play for the national title for the first time since 1988. In order to get there, they had to knock off their rivals USC in a tough environment on the road. 

Led by kicker Kyle Brindza’s stellar, five-field goal performance and a dominant defensive effort, the Irish secured their spot in the national title game. And with another strong showing, Te'o solidified himself as a Heisman finalist. The championship game may have not gone in the Irish’s favor, but it still does not take away from how monumental of a game their 2012 battle against the Trojans was. 

2017: Notre Dame 49, USC 14 

Outside of a close loss to college football powerhouse Georgia, the Irish had been pretty sharp leading up to their battle against 11th-ranked USC. Going up against a USC team led by star quarterback Sam Darnold, college football fans had high expectations for this matchup and expected a competitive battle. However, it would end up being the most lopsided Irish win in series history, a 49-14 victory. 

Notre Dame was ignited by linebacker Te’von Coney’s strip sack of Darnold. From then on, the game would turn into an absolute blowout with a 191-yard, three-touchdown performance from star Irish running back Josh Adams. This game left Irish fans ecstatic about what was in store for the Irish throughout the rest of the season. 

2022: USC 38, ND 27 

In a down year for Irish standards, Notre Dame headed into the Coliseum as a major underdog. Going against a USC team led by Heisman candidate quarterback Caleb Williams, Notre Dame was in for a tough game. As expected, Williams would have his way against the Irish. Although Irish quarterback Drew Pyne had the best performance of his career, it was just simply not enough. 

With a stellar 232-yard passing yard and three-rushing touchdown performance, Williams would firmly submit himself as the top Heisman candidate after the conclusion of the regular season. Williams would then go on to hold the trophy up in New York. The Irish finished the regular season with an 8-4 record and went on to defeat South Carolina in the Gator Bowl, ending the season on a high note coming into the 2023 season.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter!Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!