Senators Coons, Young to visit Notre Dame for discussion on bipartisanship

Senators Chris Coons (D - DE) and Todd Young (R - IN) will visit Notre Dame Oct. 27 for a conversation on “civility and bipartisanship in a time of polarization and gridlock.”

The event will take place at 2 p.m. in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center and will be moderated by Fr. John Jenkins.

“Senators Coons and Young have modeled a way forward through their willingness, throughout their careers, to put the good of the nation ahead of partisan differences, to treat their colleagues across the aisle with respect, and to work together to find solutions to pressing problems,” Jenkins said, in the announcement. “It is my hope that this conversation will spur us all to reflect on our own civic duties and deepen our commitment to serving the common good.”

Young was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2016 and represents Indiana’s ninth district.

“I am excited to join Senator Coons and Father Jenkins at this event and look forward to being back on campus,” Young said in an email to The Observer. “During my time in Congress, I have found that the most effective way to deliver solutions for Hoosiers and the American people is to work with colleagues on both sides of the aisle.”

Coons was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2010.

Both senators are recipients of the Legislative Action Award from the Bipartisan Policy Center, which was created to recognize members of congress who “improve the functionality” of the legislature.

The event is the latest in this year’s Notre Dame Forum on “the future of democracy” which aims to foster discussion about the rising threats to democracy in America.