Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Underrated spooky movies for the Halloween season

1696798211-d39fcee1fec38b0-700x467
Trey Paine | The Observer

You’ve seen every film in “The Conjuring” franchise. You already know about all of the great slashers like “Halloween” or “Scream.” You’ve thoroughly explored the filmography of Tim Burton. You’re happy to return to “Halloweentown” and “Hocus Pocus” every October, but what if I told you that there’s more out there? Here are some movies to put you in the spooky mood that you may not think to reach for.

“Casper” (1995)

“Casper” is an underrated gem of the mid-90s and of Christina Ricci’s early career and one of the defining movies of my childhood. It makes me laugh. It makes me cry. Young Devon Sawa had my heart when I was six years old. It’s all 90s cheese and cultural references but with a genuine emotional payoff and CGI that honestly could look a lot worse considering the movie is almost 30 years old. The cast is stacked, starring a young hot Bill Pullman and featuring cameo appearances from stars like Mel Gibson, Rodney Dangerfield and Clint Eastwood. I can’t view this film objectively, so I don’t know whether it’s “good,” but I can confidently say that it’s a really, really fun time.

“Saw” (2004)

Your mileage may vary in terms of whether the first “Saw” is actually “underrated,” but I do think it’s widely mischaracterized in the public eye. The later installments — which, full disclosure, I have not seen — are often seen as gratuitous “torture porn,” but the series didn’t start that way. Don’t get me wrong: The movie has its fair share of gore, and if a copious amount of fake blood isn’t your thing, I would suggest trying a different movie on this list. But the original “Saw” has more in common with an escape room than with the legacy that the franchise has picked up over the past 20 years. It sits right on the line between clever and camp, and its quotability and iconic imagery have made it a personal horror movie mainstay. If you’ve written off the “Saw” franchise as being too long and too gory to be worth a try, it may be worth it to surprise yourself with the first one.

“ParaNorman” (2012)

You’re almost certainly familiar with the work of stop-motion animation studio Laika for “Coraline,” which is a phenomenal Halloween movie that’s unfortunately too mainstream to make this list. Instead, I point you to “ParaNorman,” a ghost story/zombie apocalypse movie/coming of age film that deserves to be talked about way more than it currently is. The animation is stunning and beautifully stylized, the characters are charming, the jokes are perfectly paced and, despite being a kids’ movie, the scares genuinely hit. Do yourself a favor and check out “ParaNorman,” and then do yourself a second favor and watch through the rest of what Laika has to offer.

“Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” (2019)

Most people simply don’t know that this movie exists — which is shocking because it’s based on perhaps the greatest children’s horror anthology of all time. “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” was a ubiquitous member of school libraries and secondhand store bargain bins, and the 2019 film adaptation gives perfect homage to its source material. The film prioritizes practical effects, creating the monsters with makeup, prosthetics and extraordinarily talented actors and contortionists, and the effect is massive. If you remember the Pale Lady, Me Tie Dough-ty Walker or Harold the Scarecrow — or if you’re just looking for a recent and classic-feeling horror movie — this one is worth the watch.

“Twilight” (2008)

Let me finish.

I know “Twilight” has, historically, gotten a bad rap. In many ways, that reputation is justified: Its idea of romance borders on stalkerish, its portrayal of indigenous people is uncomfortable at best and its writing is, well, bad. But allow me to reframe the movie for you: “Twilight” is not a teen vampire romance. It is a camp horror-comedy, and it is fantastic. Nothing puts me in the spooky mood quite like hearing Muse’s “Supermassive Black Hole” play over Alice Cullen’s high-kick pitch. If you want a solid laugh, gather a group of friends, put “Twilight” on the big screen and hold on tight, spider monkey.