Sunday, June 30, 2024

Ivy League transfer Krimm cherishing relationships at Notre Dame

1700079063-48406e39b7e4ee4-700x677
Graduate student punter Ben Krimm cheers from the sideline as Notre Dame scores a touchdown against NC State at Carter-Finley Stadium on Sep. 9/

There’s a saying that history repeats itself. It's true for Notre Dame football with regard to its punting rooms. For the second straight year, the Irish have used the transfer portal to get an Ivy League punter, this time with Penn graduate transfer Ben Krimm.

“The people and level of football is what brought me here, being around great people, good education and a high level of football,” Krimm said.

Krimm credits special teams coach Marty Biagi for teaching him a lot of technique work with punting and working through film daily. The growth hasn’t just occurred on the field, however.

“I have grown as a person and been able to meet so many new people at Notre Dame,” he said.

Krimm has acquired a different perspective on school, life, sports and others around him as a result, he said.

Krimm, a native of Columbus, Ohio, was Penn's starting punter for the previous two seasons. Krimm led the Ivy League with a 41.6 per punt average as a senior, and he also led the league with 11 punts of at least 50 yards on 44 total boots. For his efforts with the Quakers last season, Krimm earned First-team All-Ivy League honors. In terms of average yards per punt, he finished 24th in FCS.

While Krimm has not seen a lot of time on the field at Notre Dame, he has made sure to soak up every opportunity that was presented to him on and off the field.

“Going on the field during the Pitt game was a really good moment,” Krimm said.

Krimm highlights more of the process of getting acclimated to Notre Dame and the friendships he has made. Krimm said he enjoyed the process of coming to Notre Dame. He appreciates the academic standards at Notre Dame along with gaining exposure to a high level of football.

“There are a ton of amazing individuals and getting to meet them and them being my friends through this process has been amazing," he said.

What he credits most, though, are the relationships and friendships he has made at Notre Dame. He singled out the relationships in the punter room.

"Being in the punter room is amazing," Krimm said. "We are all very close friends and have a tight friendship.”

Those relationships have helped him with the younger punters on the team.

"The advice I give to those guys is, 'Take everything in stride.' I learn from them and they learn from me, and I like that," Krimm said.

With his time at Notre Dame coming to an end, Krimm gave his insight on his post-graduation plan.

"I have a job lined up, but I still want to see what I can do with football in the future”, he said.