Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Notre Dame students award $59K in grants to Michiana nonprofits

University President Fr. John Jenkins and students from the Philanthropy and the Common Good course, led by professor Jonathan Hannah, gathered at McKenna Hall on Tuesday evening to present a total of $59,000 in grants to various South Bend and Michiana nonprofit organizations. The course, sponsored by The Philanthropy Lab, teaches students about the impact of philanthropy in society. 

1701211093-df4782bab433754-700x525
Members of Notre Dame's Philanthropy and Common Good course posed with Fr. Jenkins and the checks representing the grants being given to local non-profits.

The course, set for its sixth offering in the fall of 2024, allows students to be directly involved in local nonprofit activities. Each student must conduct one site visit to a local nonprofit and volunteer once during the semester, Hannah said. Afterwards, the students receive funding proposals and act as a board of directors to award the grants.

Hannah said education is crucial in shaping future philanthropists and teaching them that there is more to philanthropy than just money.

"Unlike courses focused on making and investing money, our course at Notre Dame, sponsored by The Philanthropy Lab, helps students see that philanthropy isn't just about large sums of money. It's about volunteering, strategic giving, and serving on boards," he said.

The curriculum touches on politics and tax benefits that may or may not result from charitable acts, Hannah said.

"The course blurs the lines between philanthropy and politics. Students learn to distinguish between philanthropy aimed at policy influence and that meant for direct aid.

"However, the tax benefits for donors remain a point of discussion, especially considering that most Americans don't receive tax incentives for their charitable acts," he said. 

Hannah said he does not influence who receives the grants.

"I don’t guide my students in grant-making. They serve as a board of directors, and I’m there as an advisor. It’s their decision on which nonprofits to visit and fund. My role is to ensure they have the freedom to make these critical decisions," he said. 

Students independently guide their own decision-making when they visit and evaluate nonprofits before allocating the grants.

This semester, notable grants were awarded to Cultivate Food Rescue, Corvilla, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), 100 Women Strong and Neighbor to Neighbor. 

Jenkins addressed the assembly at McKenna Hall on Tuesday and praised the course for bridging the gap between academia and community engagement.

“This class provides resources to worthy organizations and connects the University with the community. It's crucial for Notre Dame to be a part of the community and actively engage with it," he said. 

Jenkins highlighted the impact of such courses on students.

“Engaging with the community in this way makes for better citizens and more fulfilled lives. I hope the students carry this experience with them, not just in this semester but throughout their lives,” he added. 

Senior student Gigi Eckholdt said the course offered her a unique real-world experience.

"Visiting Cultivate Food Rescue was an eye-opening experience. Learning about philanthropy in a classroom is one thing, but seeing its impact firsthand truly brings the lessons home," she said.

Notre Dame junior Ryan Bland also reflected on the course's unique curriculum.

“This class has been unlike any other at Notre Dame," Bland said. "Getting out into the community and talking to these nonprofits has been incredibly insightful.”