Sunday, May 12, 2024

Saint Mary’s to host International Education Week

This week, Saint Mary’s will celebrate International Education Week, giving students the opportunity to learn more about international cultures through interactive activities around campus. 

The Global Education Office, Career Crossings Office, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures and the Department of Global Studies are sponsoring the week’s events. 

Collaborators include Adriana Petty, director of Multicultural and International Student Services, Marelys Valencia, an assistant professor in the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures and the Multicultural Offices. 

Throughout the week, the Noble Family Dining Hall will be serving cultural dishes from many regions. These include a Spanish lunch Monday, a French dinner Tuesday, an Arabic/Mediterranean lunch Wednesday and an Italian dinner Friday to end the week. 

To engage students in study abroad, the student center will be having study abroad panel discussions, as well as a study abroad photo contest vote that will start Monday in the library, and end Thursday at 5 p.m. 

An alumnae panel on study abroad opportunities will take place in Welsh Parlor in Haggar College Center from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Following discussion panels will take place in Spes Unica Hall on Tuesday and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. A final study abroad information table will be set up in Spes Unica Hall on Friday from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. 

A tabling event for Diwali/Bandi Chhor Divas is also scheduled for Friday. Students are able to stop by between noon and 2 p.m. for sweets, window cling and ornaments in the student center.

Students will get a chance to see fellow peers perform their favorite songs, dances, poetry and more Thursday in Haggar Parlor from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Arts Around the World Showcase. 

Friday evening, students are also able to participate in karaoke, games and more from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the student center.

Valencia said the idea of a heritage showcase was brought up by Marianne Hahn, a former Saint Mary’s professor who taught French and German. The idea was then continued and put into place by the Modern Language and Culture Department in 2021. 

Valencia said the purpose of the week is to reach out to people who want to see their culture and heritage be celebrated. 

“With Saint Mary’s being a liberal arts school, it has the ingrained mission of valuing students to be connected to global cultures and exploring the awareness of the U.S. and beyond,” Valencia said. 

Valencia emphasized the importance of celebrating cultural heritage.

“It’s important to have numerous cultural representations so people are able to feel proud,” Valencia said.