Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Tyree, Osafo-Mensah, Correll enter the transfer portal

1699280496-d0c897e7f301fa5-700x362
Wide receiver Chris Tyree (4) dodges a Clemson defender during the game between Notre Dame and Clemson at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4.

Earlier today, Chris Tyree, Nana Osafo-Mensah and Zeke Correll announced their intention to leave Notre Dame and enter the transfer portal.

Tyree entered Notre Dame as a running back before converting to wide receiver this year. He has one year of eligibility left. Tyree entered Notre Dame as a five-star recruit (per 247Sports). He saw success on special teams, particularly as a kick returner, including his 97-yard kick return touchdown in the 2021 Shamrock Series game against Wisconsin.

This year, Tyree has 484 yards and 3 touchdowns, including an 82-yard punt return touchdown against Pitt. His switch to wide receiver was not as smooth as some fans had hoped for. Tyree rarely saw action in the short game, although he made several breakaway catches for over 40 yards.

Defensive end Osafo-Mensah has spent five seasons with Notre Dame, including a redshirt year. He also has one year of eligibility left. Osafo-Mensah had key plays in big games, including sacks in games against Louisville and USC. However, he failed to cement himself as a starter. Though he played in all games in the last two seasons, his snaps were limited.

Later on in the day, offensive lineman Zeke Correll unexpectedly announced his intention to transfer. Correll was the Irish’s second-best pass blocker this year, with a rating of 78.0, per Pro Football Focus. Correll did not play in the Irish’s last two contests after entering concussion protocol following Notre Dame’s trip to Clemson. Sophomore Ashton Craig saw more reps in Correll’s absence.

Correll is an Ohio native and came to Notre Dame as a top prospect, rated as highly as No. 95 by Rivals.com. His absence will be missed, especially as star junior offensive lineman Joe Alt will likely head to the draft. Alt is projected to be drafted within the first 10 picks. Junior offensive tackle Blake Fisher could also leave Notre Dame for the draft. FantasyPros expects Fisher to be a second-day pick.

Next year, the Irish will see significant change on the defensive line. Graduate student defensive tackle Howard Cross is not expected to return to Notre Dame, instead entering the NFL Draft, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter!Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!