Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Observer staff wins 23 awards at annual ICPAs

The Observer received 23 awards at the 2019 annual Indiana Collegiate Press Association (ICPA) awards, including second place in the Division I Newspaper of the Year category and third place for Best Overall Website Design.

The News department took home five awards, including first place in the Best News or Feature Story category for senior news writer Gina Twardosz and Managing Editor Mariah Rush’s seriesabout the underrepresentation of Native Americans at Notre Dame.

News also took first in Best Non-Deadline News Story for former Editor-in-Chief Kelli Smith’s story about a Notre Dame student who created a crossword which was published in The New York Times. 

The Observer News department staff won second place for Best Breaking News Reporting for covering Notre Dame’s decision to remove campus-wide dorm access from student ID cards.

Former Assistant Managing Editors Mary Steurer and Natalie Weber took second place for Best Continuous Coverage of a Single Story for coveringthesexabuse crisis in the Catholic Church and its impact on the 2019 Notre Dame Forum.

The News department took second place for Best News Feature Series for a look inside the mentalhealthservices and needs of the students at Saint Mary’s College, written by Twardosz and Saint Mary’s News Editor Mia Marroquin. 

The Sports department received four awards. Former Associate Managing Editor Elizabeth Greason won first place in the Best Sports News Story category for her story about the Notre Dame women’s basketball national championship loss.

Former Sports Editor Connor Mulvena won second place in Best Sports Column for his response to critics after his analysis of the problems within the Notre Dame football program. Additionally, Sports writer Jack Concannon won second place for Best Sports News Story for covering an Irish defeat by the Wolverines.

Sports also took third place for Best Sports Feature Story for a piece about Ian Book written by former Managing Editor Charlotte Edmonds.

The Scene department won four awards. Scene writer Jim Moster took third place for Best Entertainment Column for his dissection of the Area 51 meme. Hanna Kennedy and Ryan Israel, scene writer and Scene Editor, wonsecond and third place respectively for Best Entertainment Story –– Kennedy for her piece about the Snite Museum’s exhibit of Native art, and Israel for a story about a basement concert, part of the department’s “Flashes in the Pan” series.

Former Scene Editor Nora McGreevy won first place for Best Review for her piece on ‘Sex Education.’ 

Viewpoint took home two awards, including first place for Best Opinion Column for columnist Ashton Weber’s reflection on growing up in the churchwith a priest who had recently been indicted on nine counts of rape. 

The Viewpoint department staff won third place for Best Podcast for their ‘Episode Three’ in which they discussed the abortion debate.

Kerry Schneeman won third place in Best Illustration for an image of Greta Thunberg featured in a Viewpoint column about the 16-year-old activist.

The Graphics and Photo departments took home two awards together. Graphics Editor Diane Park and former Photo Editor Anna Mason won first and second place for Best Special Section Front/Cover for the Irish Insiders for Virginia Tech and Virginia, respectively.

The Observer also took first place for Best Blog for a discussion of the ‘90s art scene at Saint Mary’s by Moster, Marirose Osborne and Evan McKenna as part of the From the Archives initiative.

The Observer Editorial Board won second place for Best Staff Editorial urging the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s administrations to renew their commitment to sexual assault awareness and transparency. The Observer staff also won second place for Best Themed Issue for the 2019 Commencement edition.

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this story stated The Observer won 24 awards at the ICPAs. The Observer regrets this error.