Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Saint Mary’s adapts visitor guidelines after 2-week restrictions

Interim vice president of student affairs Gloria Roldán Jenkins informed students that the College would be returning to visitor guidelines established at the beginning of the semester, in an email sent to students Thursday. Jenkins said that tri-campus students will now be allowed to come to Saint Mary's when given permission by their home institution. She also reminded Belles to continue following health and safety guidelines across campuses.

“Tri-campus students are not considered visitors and can come to Saint Mary’s campus,” Jenkins said. “However, all social visitors from Notre Dame or Holy Cross, when allowed by their respective institutions, must follow Saint Mary’s safety guidelines, including wearing an appropriate face covering, physical distancing and hand washing. Saint Mary’s students visiting Notre Dame must adhere to their guidelines and standards. Holy Cross remains closed to outside visitors.”

Currently, off-campus visitors are still cautioned not to come to the College unless they have necessary business to complete. “Saint Mary’s College continues to discourage off-campus visitors,” Jenkins said. “Only those with essential business with the College are allowed at this time.” Jenkins also told students that no visitors are allowed in private dorm spaces. On-campus Saint Mary’s students can still visit each other's rooms while following proper safety guidelines. “No guests, including family members, students from Notre Dame and Holy Cross, or Saint Mary’s students who are living off-campus, are allowed in private residence hall spaces,” Jenkins said. “Each residence hall has a designated lobby where guests may wait, but they must wear a mask at all times. Saint Mary’s students living on campus are allowed to visit one another in their residence halls, but must wear a mask at all times.” The College is still limiting informal social gatherings to 15 people and is requiring clubs to receive approval to plan events. “To minimize students’ exposure to COVID-19, informal social gatherings will continue to be limited to 15 people,” Jenkins said. “Students and other community members may request to organize internal events, as long as they follow participant, physical distancing and masking guidelines.” Belles can also participate in activities approved across the tri-campus, a policy which is subject to change with the changing health status of the College and the surrounding community. Students are also asked to follow safety guidelines while traveling for the weekend. “While students are not absolutely barred from such travel, we do ask that students who choose to leave campus for the weekend adhere to the safety guidelines established by the College while away,” Jenkins said. “For the same reason, we continue to ask that students refrain from attending off-campus parties.”