Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

ND Day to raise money for campus causes, celebrate Notre Dame community

The annual Notre Dame Day broadcast, rescheduled after its postponement last April due to COVID-19, will take place tonight and Tuesday from 6:42 p.m. to midnight. 

During the event, known around campus as ND Day, student groups and organizations compete to raise money through gifts and challenges. Students, professors, alumni and friends of the Notre Dame community may tune into the live broadcast to donate to their favorite groups, and student performances and stories will be featured throughout the event. 

Ellen Roof, director of alumni and parent giving, said she enjoys ND Day because the event allows every student group on campus an opportunity to better reach alumni. 

“Really our role is to point alumni parents and friends to this platform and really let your student stories shine,” Roof said. “[ND Day] helps students increase the funds available to them, so they can do more each and every semester.”

Katie Kerby, assistant director of alumni and parent giving, said the department of development helps amplify donations with special challenges. 

One such opportunity, called the Notre Dame Family Challenge, provides donors with a unique link to share with family and friends, and at the end of ND Day, those who have shared their link with five or more people are entered to win two tickets to a Notre Dame home football game in 2021. 

Giving has been available on an ongoing basis on the ND Day website.

Roof said one of the community stories which will be featured during the day is about a Notre Dame parent who was the first woman to play in the NHL. 

“It’s a fun way for us to dig up some of those creative and cool stories, just to highlight all the unique aspects of the Notre Dame family,” Roof said. 

This year, ND Day takes place over two nights. In years past, there was one broadcast that lasted 29 hours. In light of the pandemic, donors will be sent a limited-edition Notre Dame face mask when they gift $5.00 of more.

The ND Day team still plans on holding ND Day 2021 this spring, though a specific date has not been chosen, Roof said. 

Junior Isabelle Tonetti, co-Leader of the Notre Dame Day Student Engagement Committee, said she has been working to engage students and make them aware of ND Day. 

On Thursday, the committee held a trivia night with a live performer to raise awareness for the event. The committee also planned on delivering Rise’n Roll doughnuts to each dorm on Monday morning. 

Kerby said the ND Day team hopes to show the broadcast on Library Lawn, but if it rains, it will be shown in Duncan Student Center. She encourages students to tune into the broadcast to celebrate ND Day. 

The broadcast schedule and leaderboard can be found on the ND Day website

“I hope students think it’s really cool how much the ND family cares about all of these current student groups and all of the stories being shared in the broadcast because I think it is a sign of the unique nature of the ND family,” Roof said.