Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Provost, executive vice president announce University COVID-19 vaccination efforts

Notre Dame Provost Marie Lynn Miranda and Executive Vice President Shannon Cullinan provided updates on COVID-19 vaccinations in relationship to the University's response to the pandemic in an email Friday.

The email said those who are currently eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine in their respected states are encouraged to make an appointment for vaccination.

“The vaccines currently available have been shown to be highly effective and have undergone rigorous testing before being released to the public,” the email said. “We celebrate the fact that many of our Notre Dame first responders and medical professionals have already received the first dose of the vaccine locally, in accordance with state guidelines.”

The University has added a page to the HERE COVID-19 response page regarding vaccination efforts in Indiana and Michigan, as well as information on eligibility.

“Vaccination becomes even more important as new, more transmissible variants of COVID-19 are circulating in the U.S., including in Indiana,” the website says.

According to the email from the provost and executive vice president, the University is in the process of applying to become a vaccination administration location.

“There is no guarantee that we will be approved by the Indiana Department of Health,” they said. “If we are approved, it is unclear when we might receive doses, how many we will receive and what rules for allocation/distribution will apply.”

Notre Dame will follow vaccine allocation guidelines in accordance to the Indiana Department of Health.

“While vaccines are a critical component of our COVID-19 response, it is incumbent on each of us to remain vigilant and to follow our health and safety protocols,” the email said.