Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

HCC Student Government Association tickets: Caleb Cannon and Neema Kwangu

Though Caleb Cannon and Neema Kwangu are only first-years, they are determined to effect change at Holy Cross College. One of three tickets for the 2021 election cycle, Cannon and Kwangu are running for president and vice president, respectively. 

1615483694-e78660e4d99591c-700x611
Cannon (left) and Kwangu (right) are running for Holy Cross SGA president and vice president in the College's upcoming election.

Cannon is a business major with a minor in naval science originally from Palestine, Indiana. He is currently a first-year class senator and is on the Public Affairs Senate Committee in the Holy Cross College Student Government Association (SGA). He is also a part of ROTC.

Kwangu is an international business major and political science minor originally from Tanzania. She is a member of the Social Concerns Committee in SGA and serves as a mass lector through Campus Ministry. 

Cannon and Kwangu’s campaign platform focuses on four pillars: service, community, inclusion and representation. 

“We have a lot of potential to do a lot of good on campus, and that’s what I’m looking forward to doing in my term as president,” Cannon said.

Cannon said one of the first things he would try to address as president is student mental health, which he believes has taken a toll since COVID-19. He hopes to create solutions, such as putting together a few consecutive days off for a substantive break and creating a pass-fail option for classes. 

“Students perform at a lower level when their mental health is being hurt,” Cannon said.

Kwangu said she most wants to foster solidarity across the entire campus community. She notices different subgroups where students feel a sense of belonging, but believes campus-wide unity is lacking. 

“As vice president, I hope to unite everyone as a part of the Holy Cross community,” Kwangu said.

Another goal of Kwangu’s is to implement a Black Studies Program, which has been proposed by the Black Students Association. She aims to further develop the proposal. 

The pair have an Instagram account, @caleb_neema_2021, where they share about themselves and their campaign platform. On the account, they emphasize the four foundations of their campaign.

Cannon said he hopes to host a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House next year, which would be a service opportunity that would allow Holy Cross to give back to the wider South Bend community.

Kwangu said she ran for vice president because she has strong leadership skills and is devoted to service.

“I love getting to know people and I just feel like there's so much of myself that I should give to this community,” Kwangu said.

Cannon said he wants to show people that age does not determine his capacity to succeed as president. 

“I just encourage people, when they look at my campaign, to look at its substance and judge it upon that instead of my age or my college experience,” Cannon said. 

Cannon has pushed for substantive change and taken a leadership role as a SGA senator, he said.

“I know that I have the ability to be a leader who can foster strength and courage in our senators and our student body, and in our community as a whole, so that people feel empowered to achieve the goals that they wish to achieve,” Cannon said.